Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9555 topics in this forum
-
US astronaut Neil Armstrong dies, first man on Moon US astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man on the Moon, has died at the age of 82, US media report. Earlier this month he had surgery to relieve blocked coronary arteries. He set foot on the Moon on 20 July 1969, famously describing the event as "one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind". Armstrong, along with three other astronauts, received the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest US civilian award, last November. He was the commander of the Apollo 11 spacecraft. He and fellow astronaut Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin spent nearly three hours walking on the moon. Source BBC News
-
Is it a man thing? I personally get daily Migraines and ever so recently I have started getting stomach cramps again. The migraines are typically daily and for the few weeks its been at least twice a day or what feels like one continuous headache. They are mild migraines however as I can still see OK and don't feel nauseous just an insanely painful throbbing head especially when I walk around. Whats annoying is no matter what tablets I take they don't go away unless I sleep I also seem to suffer with what feels like sharp hunger pains when I am not hungry. The only way to make them go away is to eat, and they stop for a short time and then come back. The wife is star…
-
"Professor Sid" Watkins dies, aged 84 Professor Sid Watkins, best known for his efforts to improve safety in F1, has died just days after celebrating his 84th birthday. The renowned neurosurgeon spent 26 years as the FIA's safety and medical delegate to the top flight and, as head of the sport's on-track medical team, was often first on the scene at some of its worst accidents. He was rightly acclaimed for saving the lives of some of F1's biggest names, as he was for his efforts to advance the sport's safety record through three of its most notorious decades. He was also well-known for his close relationship with Ayrton Senna, and for suggesting that the Brazilian…
-
-
At first i wasnt sure where it happened as the article doesnt state, but the article only states that he phoned 999 and the emergency number in romania is 112 (police used to be 955) so I believe this is a UK story.
-
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9919930._Too_homophobic_and_racist_to_be_a_juror_/?ref=mr Interesting story! On one hand, he does have a good point. If he knows that he won't be fair then he does have a duty to point it out, just in the same way that if I was to investigate a crime relating to someone I had a personal interest in, I would be duty bound to declare it and hand it over to another unbiased officer. Or is it just a ploy to get out of jury duty? IMO, labelling yourself as racist is a pretty extreme way of doing it!
-
http://www.bbc.co.uk...ashire-19549082 Initially I read the headline and thought "3.5 years for manslaughter!?!?" then read on to see it was just one punch. That is actually quite scary that someone could die from being hit only once.
-
http://www.standard.co.uk/panewsfeeds/894-million-for-mps-expenses-8113693.html The bill for MPs' expenses went up by a quarter to nearly £90 million last year, it has been disclosed. Politicians spent the money on second homes, staff, travel and office costs - including dozens of iPads. The figure is now only slightly lower than in the run-up to the scandal that rocked Westminster in 2009. But the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) insisted that the rate of claims had remained "stable". Although the total outlay for 2010-11 had been £71 million, that was misleading because of the impact of the general election. Chairman Sir Ian Kennedy said "lik…
-
http://www.policeoracle.com/quirkie/Sex-Doll-Used-As-Traffic-Calming-Measure_52476.html Measure Residents speeding reduction row blows up following complaints that local police have let them down. A blow-up sex doll is being used as a new form of traffic calming measure in China. Annoyed that local police were not catching speeding motorists outside her home in Ningbo, Lin Chen took matters into her own hands. “It isn't a method we would use, but we can't say it isn't working.” The 67-year-old bought a blow up sex doll and dressed in sexy red underwear to make motorists slow down to get a better look. "There are a set of traffic lights near my house and the cars…
-
Hi all, Thought I would post this as this is a really interesting film. If anyone know's any more films like this post away. I would love to do some of this stuff that involves drains. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6TsEqWy_CE&feature=related
-
-
-
I saw this on facebook this week, and spent a bit of time reading about it. Seems a no-brainer to me. I'm sure we've all seen some of the horrific injuries caused by glass every Friday and Saturday night. Why does it have to go on? Why do late night town and city centre clubs and bars need to serve drinks in glasses and glass bottle? I can accept in upmarket restaurants, pubs or bars you don't want to be drinking expensive wine from a plastic glass, but would the majority of people out on a Friday or Saturday night intending to get drunk really care? Theres actually two campaigns that have together to petition for change, the first is the POP-Campaign: There's a pe…
-
Not sure if members are aware of this campaign. This video talks about the following incident (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126784/Phillip-Sheriff-Jessie-J-party-attack-murder-probe-father-dies.html) and advocates a ban on glasses and glass bottles in nightclubs / late bars. WARNING: There is one graphic injury image featured in the video. [media] [/media]I do support the campaign, but I can't help wondering if someone wants to do serious harm to another they will just use something else as a weapon.
-
This happened back in May 2011 (hence not posted on news) but thought it would interest the forum goers on here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRhBs4cDWyk