Scenario City
This area of the forum is dedicated to scenarios - "what if" discussions based on real or imagined policing situations. Post your own or answer an existing scenario!
2301 topics in this forum
-
You are on patrol, in a marked vehicle, and spot an adult cyclist, cycling on the pavement in the hours of darkness with no lights. You stop them, check their ID, and record their details. You point out that they have committed the offences. You deal with the matter by way of a verbal warning, and make it clear that to continue riding would mean further offences were committed, and that it would result in prosecution. Therefore they must push the bike or transport it by means other than riding it. The cyclist then walks away, pushing his bike, until out of reach of you. He/She then re-mounts the cycle, and continues cycling along the pavement, sitll with no lights. You…
-
Probably a common scenario this, but let's see. You're on patrol with another SC in an area well known for groups of nuisance youths (and young adults!). It's nighttime, and you're speaking to a group who are pleasant enough. Across a busy road, about 100 yards away another group decide to shout across the road at you, both simple derogatory comments ("oi pig!") and profanity. You start to move towards them but they run off, shouting and laughing as they run off (your classic 100 yard hero!). Chatting with the Sgt and other specials when you get back they describe this as an increasing problem. What would you do a) in the short term and b) in the long term?
-
On my way home from work the other day, I was walking back to where I park my car, and a cyclist (on the pavement) nearly rode straight into me! The funny thing is that there are signs on the lamposts in that particular street stating that cyclists are eligible for a £30 fine if they are caught riding on the pavement. Anyway, I ignored this and carried on walking, but once I got to my car I thought that maybe I should have stopped them and had a word with them about it. Just wondered how anyone else would have dealt with the situation?
-
Heres a tricky one someone claims a sexual assault takes place between her and a male she knows. She claims it started as a kiss and a cuddle then it got too far but at no point she she say stop, back away or in anyway say it was not agreed. Is there an offence of sexual assault? If not, when does the offence take place?
-
You and a colleague attend a house following a report of youths throwing stones at the window; while approaching the house you see two female youths running off. In the house is a 35 year old female who's had a bit to drink, but isn't legless and shows you to the living room. The woman's boyfriend comes into the room and says "who the **** phoned them!?". She informs him that she had phoned the Police. The man then asks the woman what she's playing at and not to make a complaint. You ask the woman if she wants to make a complaint regarding these girls; she does not. However the woman suddenly turns aggressive, not specifically towards you and your colleague: "I swear to …
-
If you were to stop an HGV on a road and found the passenger asleep in the sleeper cab, is there an offence? One opinion is already that as there is no seatbelt fitted, then they are not required to wear one. However, as there is a passenger seat, with a seatbelt, should the passenger not be sitting in it? I think I know the answer, but could do with some supporting info and opinion. Thank you
-
Lucy leaves a pub on a busy saturday night, goes to the taxi rank and hails a cab. She asks the driver take her to her boyfriend's house 10 minutes north. Upon arrival, the boyfriends house is in darkness and Lucy says to the driver to take her back to her own house. 15 minutes later the taxi pulls up outside Lucy's house. Lucy fumbles in her purse and finds no more than £3 and offers it to the driver. The driver points out that the fare is £20. Lucy has another look in her bag and again states that the £3 is all she has. She appears to find the whole incident amusing and says that she may have money inside at which point she gets out and goes into her house. The dri…
-
After the recent spate of nonsense scenarios, please note this is a genuine question. I was just watching night cops and while an officers female colleague was dealing with a young female who had been urinating in the street, the male officer was chatting to one of her friends who had nothing to do with the incident. This member of the public started telling the male officer she found him very attractive and wanted to give him her number. He was very professional and turned her down every time, his reason being that he was on duty. Now i understand that giving out your phone number to members of the public is a no no on duty, but my question is, could he accept her numb…
-
Hey guys. Since I work in a hospital, i've been wondering how this made up scenario would be dealt with by serving officers (myself still being in the recruitment process) . You are on routine patrol and are walking through hospital grounds (outside) where you come across a rather ill man (obviously admitted into the hospital for a few days). He's standing outside having a cigarette or getting some fresh air for example, but then starts shouting abuse towards you and your collegue in which swearing is involved etc. I'm thinking this is a P.O. offence, but how would you go about resolving this situation with the particular person being ill and admitted into hospital? …
-
Question: What would you do: If a car is tailgating you (you are driving at speed limit) from where a dual carriage way bottlenecks, into a 50mph road, then through a 30mph village and then onto a 60mph road constantly for 5 miles and so close that you are unable to get the VRM. It's night time, car is so close you can't see VRM or even their lights, a brake flash doesn't do anything, neither does slowing down for them to overtake. (1) As a member of the public (SC coming home from training). (2) As an SC off duty. (3) If you were driving 007's Aston Martin My assumption was not much/nothing, eventually lost them at a roundabout.
-
I was asked to go to the police as a voluntary attender over 3 weeks ago. I was interviewed and recorded on tape. I didnt want a solicitir as did nothing worng. In the interview I was told I had been accused of stealing money from aprevious job. There was no evidence but just my name was mentioned by staff still there. I was shocked by this and maintained my innocence. I was not arrested or cautioned. Since then I have heard nothing although the police did call me last week as the person who accused me had emailed him saying I had been contacting staff and he said that this was obstructing him as it took away the element of surprise for others who may be interviewed. I ha…
-
Mr X and Mrs X are married. Mr X owns his own business and employs Miss Y, who is also the sister of Mrs X. One month Miss Y tells Mrs X, that her husband has overpaid her by £80. She gives Mrs X the £80 and asks her to return it to her husband on her behalf. Unbeknown to Miss Y, Mrs X keeps the money and does not tell her husband. This continues for 18 months, with Miss Y being overpaid each month and returning the excess amount to her sister to repay her brother in law. Mrs X continues to keep the money for herself. After 18 months Mr and Mrs X separate and divorce proceeding start. At this point, Mrs X tells Miss Y that she has been keeping the money she has giv…
-
Real scenario- I'm a training SC, I'm in my local pub and see class a drugs being snorted off a hand and clear discussion about drugs. I report it to the owners who go in straight after and confront them. I was the only witness in there and they then went looking around for who grassed them up. Would you of told the owners about this? As a potential police officer I don't think I could just oversee this especially as I detest drug taking. Any suggestions or comments welcome!
-
-
I was watching road wars and a police officer got out and ran after the suspect and the police officer came back to his patrol car and saw that he broken his car key as he did not take the full key with him before he went after the suspect. how on earth do you fix that