Scenario City
This area of the forum is dedicated to scenarios - "what if" discussions based on real or imagined policing situations. Post your own or answer an existing scenario!
2301 topics in this forum
-
A and B are partners. A is recently pregnant by B (about five weeks), but B does not know this. They also have an abusive on again/off again relationship. Recently they have had a row and have comes to blows. Later learns that she has miscarried and feels this is a result of their incident and the associated stress. She reports this matter to the police. Offences? True story, just wondering if there were any offences in regards to the miscarriage?
-
I have been wondering about what I would do in this situation, as I'm really not sure: You walking along street late one night, off-duty, when you approached by a man. He asks threateningly for you to hand over your wallet and mobile phone. He doesn't produce any weapons, but he has his hands in his pocket. Your on a relatively busy street. Do you: A) Hand over your processions without a fuss. After all you must put your safety first, and then call 999? B) Tell him that you are a police officer, and that it would be more sensible for him to ply his trade elsewhere. Hope he leaves, and then call 999 to circulate a description and direction…
-
What if... You get a shout from University security staff worried that they have seen a student carrying something particularly bulky under their jacket. As you approach the student on a darkened path on the campus, you explain it's just a routine enquiry and proceed to carry out a stop & search. On the student, their bag reveals their laptop...and opening their jacket reveals a covert police harness, complete with speedcuffs, 'farb' marker gel in place of CS, and a torch in place of the baton. Obviously on their way home from University, you ask why they have all the equipment and they simply say "self defence. I've had friends mugged along this path before". Do …
-
Was out riding yesterday, and it seemed to be a mad day for drivers. I saw people putting on make-up, talking and texting on mobile phones - one guy was on Facebook on his iPhone, and obviously was extremely short-sighted, because he took his glasses off to be able to see his screen - all the while weaving back and forth. Nearly took me off my bike. The one that really got me to do a double take, though, was the mum (presumably), who was driving along with her toddler on her lap. That can't be legal - what would you do if you spotted it on duty? Do people actually not understand that this is a bad idea?
-
So, the scenario is... Whilst dealing with another stop, a vehicle is seen driving past in a manner which catches the attention of a colleague. Running the VRM through, it comes back with no insurance but by that time vehicle is out of sight along the road. Being a basic driver couldn't pursue it, but registered address was local so try drive by just in case was still heading that way. Find the vehicle parked outside the registered keeper's address, but although engine was still warm nobody was in it or around. Unless they've only just got insurance, likelihood is offence of driving with no insurance had been committed but no proof as to who was driving. My belief is th…
-
Your an SC and your neighbours are rather loud and generaly lack respect, they've also verbaly abused you in the past. You've gone through the right channels and contacted the landlord and council but said neighbours are wise to that action and go low key for a few weeks as the council only give a window, after which the complaint is dropped. They resume after this period. Letters from the landlord fail to have desired effect, he also reckons thats all he can do and advises calling the Police. This is a senario I have experienced in the past, it also left family upset and I was thinking to myself if I had been an SC then what could I have done and what are you within you…
-
Hi all, This is a situation i had rcently within the control. A MoP calls to state he has observed and taken vrm details of 12 drivers who have all ran the same red light within an hours time span (0800-0900) Along with this he states he has photographic evidence of each offending vehicle running the red light. After logging and taking details, pnc checks being completed on vehicles and officers going making enquiries with the informant, they find the pictures to be of top quality displaying all offending veh's on the junction whilst light is on red, also clearly showing vrm numbers in clear context. Does this evidence give the officers power to issue each veh any s…
-
While off duty, you enter or exit a tube station one day and get picked out to walk through the knife arch. After producing your warrant card and therefore identify yourself as a Police officer, PCSO etc. the officer still insists on searching you. Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â How do you take this? I personally would take it as he/she are implying that I am corrupt....am I right in thinking this? Has this happend to anyone?
-
Anyone care to say how far they'd go in this scenario; You are on foot patrol with a colleague where a young female approaches you stating there is a male around the corner covered in blood. You approach the said male (who has a 1" wound to the back of his head), but he gets spooked and starts walking away. You follow him asking what happened and state you are only there to help, to which he replies that nothing has happened and he just wants to go home - he refuses to give you his name or address. He is not compliant but neither is he aggressive. His hands are full of blood along with most of his clothes and the back of his head although the wound seems to have stopped…
-
Just a daft question. You witness someone committing criminal damage when your off duty, you decide to phone it in until uniformed officers arrive. They nick the guy, and your asked to provide a witness statement. In the opening lines of your statement are you legally required (or just required for best practice) to state you are a special constable/constable even though at the time you were not acting as such?
-
Okay, not sure of my ground or even specifically how to phrase this, as I'm asking on behalf of someone else, but I'll give it a stab. If this is the wrong place, btw, I'm sure someone will point it out! My friend/colleague works for an educational establishment which gets quite a lot of trepassers. From experience I know this an include tourists randomly walking into the grounds but more often than not is actually idiots climbing over the walls because they can. Apparently they sometimes get free-runners using the walls for practice. This guy wants to know what steps they are legally entitled to take to keep trespassers out, as he knows they (the establishment) has a d…
-
Hello Everyone, I Have my assessment with Herts Police at the beginning of May and all being well I hope pass & become a Special... I have 2 points I wish to raise for discussion: 1) any advice for the assessment? 2) In my day job I get referrals from the jobcentre and assist people in finding jobs, as you can imagine I get a mixture of people sent to me, and on occasion I KNOW that some of them are carrying drugs (class A&B) and sometimes admit to me committing criminal offences, I don't intent a flipping out the warrant card every 5 mins at work but at the same time, it seams morally wrong that people are breaking the law in front of me? I could report …
-
I work as an MOT tester for an independant garage, we do quite a few MOTS for traders. I have been asked on a number of occasions to turn a blind eye to faults. Basically i got asked to pass a car today that i failed 2 weeks ago even though the work hadnt been done. i refused but the barney that happened is still going on now. Just wondered what i should do in the future, if and when i become a special. Hope this is in the right section if not admins please feel free to move.
-
You had just been on a shopping adventure, when you are returning home. You live on a very queit residential road that is barely wide enough to fit two cars past each other. You are travelling at a maximum of 20mph with a biker behind you. You slow down to about 5-10mph and swing out slightly to turn left into your drive which you need to swing out for to avoid the kerb. Whilst turning in, you dont put your indicator on when as you are turning into your drive a biker undertakes you with no warning and bump into him No-one is seriously injured, just a little damage to the car and bike. Road conditions are dry, in complete daylight. Who is at fault?
-
Hi all, have my day 1 to be a special with the Met this friday. Was just wondering how many people do, or would use their powers to get involved and sort out really minor stuff? For example I was on my way home from the gym last night and my route involves me walking down a busy main road. Someone had pulled a large van into the drive of one of the houses on the road, I think they were probably there to fix or deliver something so wont that bothered about their parking as I suppose they imagined they wouldnt be there too long. Problem is they had spilled the van right over onto the pavement, so much so you had to walk into the busy road to get around it. This was alrig…