Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9555 topics in this forum
-
I like the term "electro-muscular disruption devices" as opposed to Taser/Taser. Sort of like calling the ASP baton an "extendable kinetic-energy focusser". http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=257522 Queensland criminals in for a shock Saturday Jun 30 22:32 AEST Queensland police will on Sunday begin a 12-month trial of electrical stun guns in Brisbane and the state's greater south-east. The taser guns as they are also known operate by transmitting an electrical current which causes involuntary muscle contractions and loss of mobility, usually rendering an offender unable to fight or attack. To date, 118 general duties officers have been trained to use …
-
- 1 reply
- 902 views
- 1 follower
-
-
http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/06/26/1962205.htm Not just an ordinary death in custody, where it generates a little bit of media interest, but one of those where it generates a LOT of media interest and a lot of pressure from those groups who have traditionally been very anti-Police and form large groups shouting "MURDER!". This coming a week after the acquittal of S/Sgt. Hurley (and it irritates me that the media keep linking the two) and during the lead up to Prime Minister Howard's deployment of extra troops and Police to certain communities in the Northern Territory does not bode well for the members involved in this one. Good luck to them, I suspect they'll n…
-
- 2 replies
- 866 views
- 1 follower
-
-
Guys, girls. Being a MET officer, I have decided to apply to join WA Police. My application is in, however I am hearing some bad things now, and was wondering if anyone could help clear some things up and let me know what it is like for british officers moving out there. I have met a few officers that have returned after they realised that the money was awful and they couldn't afford to live out there. Is that the case?. Any information about pay, conditions and life in general out there would be appreciated. Cheers
-
Private Security Guards in the States. Some, or many of them are armed. Those used by large private companies to guard their premises. My question is:-- do these Security Guards who are authorised to carry firemarms have to go through a proper Police supervised training course etc. And what legal powers of arrest do they have, if any? Does the 'Pinkerton Detective Agency' still exist? My other question is... do Military Cops have any jurisdiction over civilians outside military property? Are military cops in effect 'Federal Agents' since they are employed by the Pentagon, which is part of the Federal Government set up? thanksUncle Vanya2007-04-22 23:42…
-
- 4 replies
- 1.2k views
- 1 follower
-
-
My wife (she's job too) and I are thinking of transfering to Canada, calgary in particular. Anyone here been there or has transfered from uk police to canada? If so can you let me know what it's like? Thanks.
-
- 15 replies
- 3.4k views
- 3 followers
-
-
What is the rank structures of the average US Police Department. I offten read about Majors and Colonels in the senior Officer ranks. I understand the ranks from Patrolman, Sergeant, Leitenant and Captain. Waht are the ranks above this. In the films..'Dirty Harry', Clint Eastwood plays the character of 'Inspector Calahan' in the LAPD I think. Is the grade of 'Inspector' only within the 'Detective' grades, and does it outrank a Sergeant? What are the ranks/grades within a County Sherrifs Department? Thanks
-
- 1 reply
- 5.9k views
- 1 follower
-
-
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21658552-2,00.html From the article... Probationary officer shoots hostage-taker dead THE officer who shot a man dead after a hostage drama which saw a young man stabbed multiple times was a probationary constable. A police spokesman said the Queensland Crime and Misconduct Commission were investigating the shooting, which happened after a man took several people hostage and had stabbed a supermarket employee multiple times in the neck. The knife-wielding man, believed to be in his 20s, held up the Tinana Place Foodworks in Maryborough ( map) in south eastern Queensland this morning, taking employees, customers and the store …
-
Western Australia Police Police Officers Organisation: Western Australia Police Title: Police Officers Location: Other Contact Email: Contact URL: www.stepforward.wa.gov.au Reference Code: Description Ready to take your career in a new direction? How about Western Australia? Western Australia offers a magnificent lifestyle for families and singles that is second to none, including a top quality education system, a thriving economy and one of the highest police salaries in Australia. There are currently many front-line policing opportunities for men and women from other police services. We offer recognition of prior se…
-
Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me out with some information. I just got back from a holiday in Florida and boy did I make a mistake coming to the wrong country!! America is THE place to be!!! Anyway, I am just about to get my Canadian Citizenship after having emigrated here from England (will have it within 2 months). I have a good proffession and a certification that originates from America but is International and very exclusive. Puts me on the top of the list in my proffession and definately qualifies me under the special worker employment authorisation. How can I get to America to work? I would like to go an live there and preferably not work …
-
This is soo funny and something I think we should do in this country!!! Deputy Dressed As Leprechaun Tickets Speeding DriversPM852007-03-20 12:54:44
-
- 2 replies
- 1.6k views
- 1 follower
-
-
I found this article while trawling for other information on The National Post website. I appreciate it's six months old but, was there a follow up, as promised. Oh, and I am being serious. http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/columnists/story.html?id=3a12244a-0cbb-4450-af9d-3215383bdebc&p=2 Practical immortality a reality Jonathan Chevreau, National Post Published: Saturday, September 30, 2006 In like fashion, an evaluation of the pension plan for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police found they had up to two years more life expectancy than average Canadians. That's to be expected given that RCMP candidates must be fit on a number of measures to join the forc…
-
There is a state election looming and again, Law and Order and being "tough on crime" is seen as being a vote winner. One party (I forget which one) has said that they would introduce ASBOs to curb juvenile crime without explaining what they are and what they do. My reading of these forums (fora?) leads me to think it stands for Anti-Social Behaviour Order. Assuming that it will be based on the English model, can anyone tell me (a) what are they and ( do they work? And by "work" I mean actually curb crime. (My experience with these sorts of initiatives is that, invariably they create more work, the legislation is written so that it's convoluted to the point of being …
-
Hi everyone, I am an Essex Police Officer but i have finally decided i have had enough of the way we get treated in this country. I have taken the plunge and passed all the tests with Western Australia Police and now awaiting my visa to be authorised by Western Australia Immigration in the next few weeks. I should be starting with WAPOL sometime next May 2007. I have heard lots of conflicting stories of Officers wanting to leave WAPOL already etc beacuse of pay and not being able to afford to live. I have also heard that housing has risen dramaticaly, the cost of living is not in line with the pay from WAPOL. I am single and going on my own, may i ask please is t…
-
- 8 replies
- 2.7k views
- 2 followers
-
-
Hi there to all you wannabee migraters..... an excellent site where all your questions will be answered (hopefully) is http://www.police-forum.com/ I dont have anything to do with the site but is is good for old bill questions. If you get the visa to Oz and want to know general info please feel free to pm me
-
As a viewer of American 'Cop shows'. I ask this question -- What is a Bail Bondsman? Do they have to undergo a certain amount of training/supervision by local Police so they have a certain level of training? Do they have 'Powers of Arrest' over and above a normal Citizen, and are they allowed to carry firearms, handcuffs, batons and other standard Police equipment in the execution of apprehending bail jumpers? or is that the job of the 'Bounty Hunter' still?
-
- 1 reply
- 930 views
- 1 follower
-