Real World News
This is a place to discuss things of a serious nature that aren't connected to policing. It can be news stories or subjects of interest unrelated to policing in this country or abroad.
9555 topics in this forum
-
Hi everyone. Would like to hear from officers who have emigrated or are in the process of emigrating from the UK, especially those with families. My wife is a qualified accountant and although she is keen to escape these shores I have heard that it is not always easy to find work in Australia. We have a 5 year old who started school this year so obviously moving to the other side of the world is a massive decision. It seems the pros to moving are pretty much unending; no Home Office, no targets, no IPCC, no human rights, less bureaucracy, no PSCOs etc etc... But... There must be some cons... What is the pension like for example? One con must be th…
-
Can anyone help? I am in the MoD and in 2 years they boot me out for being loyal for 22 years. I am presently in one of 4 Specialist Forensic positions in the Army, more specific the Royal Military Police Special Investigation branch. I am responsible for all forensic training across the 3 armed services and for some Home Office Police Forces too. What it is.....I want to emigrate to Australia. But I have no networks over there. All my networking has been done here. Can anyone recommend or point me in the right direction? I have tried the Police but permanent residency is a must. I don't want to just pop over and see what happens. Any advice would be great. Many…
-
- 4 replies
- 1.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Are there any ex-uk cops that have moved to OZ and joined the police there? SAPOL in particular I am thinking about doing the same and am looking for some advice re EVERTHING! the move, cost of living, wages, mortgages, the job...etc More importantly...IS IT A GOOD MOVE? Any advice would be great
-
Hi everyone, Please could you let me know how long the above is valid for ? I am waiting for my permanent residency to come through in about 6-8 months and would like to get most of the paperwork done before I complete the application form. thank you
-
Hey everybody, My partner will be applying for PR in 3 months time and I will be added as her de facto spouse. I am currently on a 457 visa and would like to switch when the PR comes through, I would then like to apply to join Vic police. Would this be possible ? cheers
-
Click Does anyone have more information on this story?
-
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I already read all threads and found interesting postings. But since you are all UK-cops I still have a lot of questions. I am working as a Belgian police officer for 16 years now and I have a dream: immigrating to Canada. But this dream isn't that simple... I just don't know where to start... If I want to get PR-status, the procedure takes about 2 to 3 years. Since I have 2 kids, age 10 & 11, I think this takes to long, because my kids don't speak english nor french yet and if they get older it becomes more difficult to learn other languages (+ school). So I thought about a work permit to start with and then try to get…
-
- 3 replies
- 1.1k views
- 2 followers
-
-
Hi I am a seving uk police officer with 4 years service. My partner is also in the job and she has friends in the winnipeg area. We have recently spent three weeks there and we are seriously looking at moving over. We both love it and although we are aware that living there would present various problems and challenges we fel we could have a great quality of life. I just wondered if anyone had any advice or information in relation to joining the winnipeg force or the transfer process in general. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks Paul
-
- 1 reply
- 972 views
- 2 followers
-
-
Hi I am a Canadian citizen now in the UK police. Just to clarify: any UK officer wishing to emigrate to canada as a police officer, who does not hold Canadian citizenship or permanent residency, if they are smart, will apply to Edmonton Police in Alberta. They will help with the visa process and are a very good service by all accounts. Calgary were doing this but hjave closed the door to further applicants from UK. Other police forces in canada will not take UK officers unless they have citizenship or residency status prior to applying!!!!!! And bear in mind: if this sounds unfair, in UK its even harder for overseas applicants …
-
- 0 replies
- 1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
After a visit and a review we are now looking to go to the toronto area. If anybody could post some information advice on the steps i need to take now in relation to ging over. I would prefer a job offer before going over however i understand that will be difficult. Any help would be great thanks
-
- 2 replies
- 1.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
I was watching a piece on CBC's on line news service last night about disputed shootings of members of the public by RCMP officers in Vanderhoof & Houston in British Columbia. In both cases an RCMP internal investigation decided that both shootings were made in self defence, but the families of both men killed dispute that. There was witness evidence that the man pursued by an officer in Vanderhoof, after committing an offence, was alleged to have surrendered on a soccer field but had been shot anyway. The shooting in Houston was inside a police station with only the prisoner & the officer present. The findings of the deceased's inquest dispu…
-
- 2 replies
- 1.2k views
- 1 follower
-
-
A man in Tampa, FL approached two uniformed officers to ask their opinions of whether the substance he had just purchased was crack cocaine. After examining the substance and the crack pipe in his hand, the officers arrested the man.
-
As an ex UK Cop... Just thought i would let you know NZ Cops are once again looking to recruit Chrissie.straayer@police.govt.nz I never thought 12 months ago that i would be here but I am.. But! MAKE SURE YOU LOOK INTO NZ BEFORE YOU COME! its not the paradise you may think and it too has its problems, Its not cheap the pay is poor and NO OT! but the people ( most) are great and the country is amazing. All the best LJ
-
Hi all, I posted on this site a few weeks ago and got such a response I have decided to start off my own small business, with a friend, helping UK officers to relocate to alberta, Canada. **There is no cost at any time to any officer I help.** I have excellent contacts with Calgary police and they are offering a great package for UK officers right now! Im ex met and have lived in Calgary for 4 years. E mail me direct at jackiegroome@shaw.ca or send me a PM if you prefer.
-
- 1 reply
- 1.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
(In case you weren't aware of this in the UK, but in Australia, in some of the small towns where there might be only 2 or 3 coppers stationed, the Police are often recalled to duty when they are on days off. Distance precludes anyone from a 'neighbouring' town from assisting, as they might be 100 kilometres apart and also only have 1-2 members both of whom might be on days off as well. So, if you work in the town, you're it, on or off duty.) http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23428339-5005962,00.html A POLICE officer who performed a breath test after himself drinking 18 beers while off duty has done nothing wrong, the Queensland Police Union says. …