fitness Monitor, Fitness Wristbands

Chief Cheetah

• Management

So like many I need to lose some weight.

I generally just need to get a bit more active.

My Dr has recommended I get a fitness wristband or fitness monitor.

I'm fully aware they don't do much but count things and keep a record of things for you, it is ultimately up to me to do something, but my Dr recommends it as a slow starter to help you see what you are doing and what more you could do.

So what does the forum recommend?

I quite fancy a Jawbone but which one I'm not sure.  The fitbit seems quite popular but this may because it is on the cheaper end.

I'm not necessarily looking for cheapest and definitely not the most expensive  but I do want one that will communicate with my BlackBerry, that said a lot of Android apps work on the BB now.

Help!

I have a fitbit but not the wrist one. Having said this I recently bought a Polar M400 which is more watch like. It is motivational and has good software. For price/performance I would certainly recommend you take a look at this for consideration, I am not disappointed with it. Like you I bought it to lose some weight and increase fitness.

I also bought a blender but that is another story!

• Like 1

I have a Nike FuelBand SE. I researched them all, watched loads of videos and decided that it was the one for me. It's fine, does what it says on the tin but I can't help but think it was a waste of money.

I'd been using apps to track my activity sessions ie irunner, biketastic etc and it worked really well for me. They both interacted with myfitnesspal (app to track what you eat) and I enjoyed my calorie goal being automatically adjusted to reflect my activity. I don't think any of the wristbands have that functionality. I still track everything I do via apps and only really use the wrist band out of interest.

• Like 1

My other half uses a FitBit, and has been very impressed. Although it causes her some skin irritation through wearing it daily. 

• Like 1

My dad has a FitBit (one of the newer models that syncs with your phone) and he really likes it, but he didn't set it up properly so it wasn't counting his steps correctly.

Personally I'm thinking about a Pebble smart watch - it syncs with your phone and you can load apps on to it, which essentially can make it like a fitness monitor with added smartwatch functionality like reading messages etc.

• Like 1

My other half uses a FitBit, and has been very impressed. Although it causes her some skin irritation through wearing it daily.

Is it the model that has had a product recall due to that issue?

I've got a moto 360 smart watch which does similar stuff, step counter, heart rate etc.

Is it the model that has had a product recall due to that issue?

I've got a moto 360 smart watch which does similar stuff, step counter, heart rate etc.

Not sure, will get her to investigate it

I have a Basis Peak, which is great. I chose it because the reviews that I read suggested that it was one of the best devices for measuring sleep. I want to improve my sleep, as well as my fitness, so this seemed like a good buy.

I wear it throughout the day and I am actually surprised by how many calories that I burn a day just through walking (at least 600 calories per day). It automatically detects a period of walking (or any other physical activity) and records it. So far today I have burnt 3,207 calories and I wasn't wearing my watch for a couple of hours either. That's far more than I ever would have imagined that I burnt off. Whereas, my Tanita scales suggest that my body composition needs 2,800 calories as a 'break even'.

I also have a Wahoo X (chest band) heart rate monitor. This is a different product and does a slightly different thing. Chest bands are more accurate for measuring the heart rate, although they are not practical to wear all day long. These are best for periods of running or cycling and the apps that they pair with can provide programmes and motivational inputs. These are more for runners who want to improve their already established level of fitness (I am neither fit nor a runner!). Wahoo X is more of a product to wear during a workout.

I also don't normally wear a watch, as they irritate me and I sometimes just take them off. The Basis Peak doesn't seem to do that to me like a normal watch and is quiet comfortable.

I really do like the data visualisations on the Basis Peak. Whilst my goal is obviously to sweat my parochials off at the gym, it does motivate me to make sure that I go for a couple of walks on a lazy day and I can see the value of them. It has also given me more insight into my sleep patterns and I now have a set bed time, which isn't a bad thing.

The message alerts from my phone is a cool feature. However, the first couple of days that I had it, people mistook my prolonged look at my watch as a sign of me being rude! When it vibrates now and I am talking other people (like in a meeting) I now just look at my phone itself, rather than my watch. It can be misinterpreted as a rude gesture. Lesson learned.

I couldn't find a perfect product on the market that does everything well. In answering the question "what is best?" you perhaps need to consider what you want it for. If measuring sleep doesn't matter then I do wonder whether the Basis is the most appropriate product; not because there is anything wrong with it (it is great!), but because their might be something cheaper that does what you want adequetly.

Edited by ParochialYokal
  • Like 1

Just a screenshot of the sleep function and another one detailing some Walking that were captured on my activity feed.

_os.81a2daebf4a25d027432c0ec8cb722ea

_os.39ddf12d6f55597414bed7332bd1cbb0

Edited by ParochialYokal

I read an article the other week about the wide discrepancy between them. Some recorded more work having been done than others. I've no idea where I saw it but it'd be worth you searching around for it if you can find it. You don't want whichever one you go for giving you a duff result.

Just a screenshot of the sleep function and another one detailing some Walking that were captured on my activity feed.

I've seen lots of bad reviews, mainly bad reviews in fact, about this very watch.

Some of them saying that it thinks you are sleeping when in meetings, thus inaccurately recording how many hours you sleep and stops countng your steps half way through walking.

I haven't had a false sleep reading as yet. And I have been in some boring meetings!

There is a valid criticism that you cannot delete an entry, like an inaccurate sleep activity. But I haven't experienced one yet.

What might also be worth pointing out is that the Basis Peak runs an algorithm and can make retrospective decisions about activity. For example, you could go for a run but it may take a while to realise that. However, it does accurately backdate the activity to the point that it started. So, someone could look at the watch and wonder why it hasn't started monitoring an activity but it will pick it up and backdate the reading. Therefore, for some things it isn't real time (although the heart rate is). Same as when you wake up; the watch will want you to start getting up and walking about before it backdates your 'wake up' time.

Nonetheless, the reviews that I read do suggest that the accuracy of the watch is quiet good in relation to 'real' occurrences of sleep. It does seem to work well for me. It also records body temperature and perspiration, which has helped me identify some foods that I shouldn't be eating and what I should and shouldn't be doing in order to get better 'sleep hygiene'. For example, looking at what an evenng takeaway pizza does to my body during sleep has actually had a big impact on my the choices that I make. More so than just thinking about it making my belly bigger!

I like the analytics available from the Basis, which you just sign in online and access anywhere. That's a selling point for me, but people may have different interests. But as a 'sport swatch' the Basis may be lacking, which is why I would use my Wahoo(which links in with a range of running / activity apps).

Edited by ParochialYokal

The other thing about these devices is - is it important to know exactly the amount of steps (etc) you have done, or is it fine to have a rough idea BUT more important to see the trend (e.g. increasing)

The other thing about these devices is - is it important to know exactly the amount of steps (etc) you have done, or is it fine to have a rough idea BUT more important to see the trend (e.g. increasing)

I guess it depends on the individual and what they type of regime they are engaging in?

I don't think that exact steps matter and I would be looking to the nearest 1000 steps to judge a day, so it is more about trends for me.

Today, for example, I can see that I have done approximately 9000 less steps than yesterday (I had the day off), so I am mindful of ensuring that I am a lot more active tomorrow.

It motivates me to go for a walk on a weekend if I am having a lazy day. I didn't fully appreciate the consequences of literally not leaving the house on a Sunday! I now aspire to at least do something, rather than being a 'slob'. And it motivates me to ensure that I have a 15 minute walk at lunch time as well.

For people who have cars and drive everywhere I can imagine that you would get some benefit from seeing how many calories that you are NOT burning, compared to those who have to walk to a train station or somewhere else.

You can set 'habits' that you are encouraged to achieve. These could involve running or cycling for a certain amount of time each day or for a certain amount of days each week. You can set a 'habit' to have a consistent bed time and get a reminder. Or, you could set a 'habit' to get up every hour or have a 'morning lap' (a 10 minute walk soon after waking). You get the chance to set what you want. You then get points and can map your compliance with the goals you set.

Edited by ParochialYokal

• Management

I'm only looking for something that shows a trend as opposed to exact figures

Thanks for all the replies so far, it is still under consideration so keep them coming.