Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Karim Kapitančík

Do I need to be born in UK?

Karim Kapitančík

Hello, Firstly I want to say sorry If I selected a bad forum but I have a couple questions about being Police officer in the UK. Also excuse me please if my english is not 100% correct. 

The first question that I have is:

Do I need to be born in the UK to have an opportunity to become a profesional police officer in the UK? Or I just need to have an UK citizenship and be able to talk in English? 

The second question is: 

If there is some opportunity to become the police officer in the UK as Czechian (for example) what type of education do I need? 

The third question is: 

I read that UK police officer needs to visit a doctor because of eyes. How much diopter can I have in average to be in limit? (Yeah, I know he is also interested about sharpness and more...)

I would also like to say that i’m sorry if my questions are stupid but I’m from the Czech Republic and I really don’t know a lot about your police system and when I’m searching on the internet it is kinda useless for me because it is for people who are born in the UK... Also I’m acutally only 15 years old and I’m just wondering what can I do in the future.

Billy Blue Tac

Dobrý den.

At the moment you do not need to be born in the UK to join the police as EEA nationals, which includes Czechians for example, are eligible. However no-one can be sure what will happen when the UK leaves the EU.

Minimum entry qualifications can vary, and change every so often, but you may find this link useful:

https://www.college.police.uk/What-we-do/Learning/Policing-Education-Qualifications-Framework/Entry-routes-for-police-constables/Pages/Entry-routes-for-police-constables.aspx

Finally, I have no idea about eye sight tests but there are plenty of serving officers who wear glasses etc.

Hodně štěstí

skydiver

Hi Karim.  I've got a couple of Polish colleagues at my force so at the moment no Brits can join the UK police although that may change if and when Brexit takes place.  Secondly there are a couple of ways to enter the UK police including having a degree as well as joining without a degree as an apprentice.  Lastly you don't need perfect sight to join as you can wear glasses or contact lenses but I don't know if there is a specific level of un corrected sight which is needed.

Member Achievements

Cs!

For eyesight you need to reach 6/36 without your spectacles or lenses.

There is quite a lot of useful information on the Met Police Website

Member Achievements

XA84
On 06/02/2019 at 20:04, Karim Kapitančík said:

Hello, Firstly I want to say sorry If I selected a bad forum but I have a couple questions about being Police officer in the UK. Also excuse me please if my english is not 100% correct. 

The first question that I have is:

Do I need to be born in the UK to have an opportunity to become a profesional police officer in the UK? Or I just need to have an UK citizenship and be able to talk in English? 

The second question is: 

If there is some opportunity to become the police officer in the UK as Czechian (for example) what type of education do I need? 

The third question is: 

I read that UK police officer needs to visit a doctor because of eyes. How much diopter can I have in average to be in limit? (Yeah, I know he is also interested about sharpness and more...)

I would also like to say that i’m sorry if my questions are stupid but I’m from the Czech Republic and I really don’t know a lot about your police system and when I’m searching on the internet it is kinda useless for me because it is for people who are born in the UK... Also I’m acutally only 15 years old and I’m just wondering what can I do in the future.

Good evening and welcome to our forum. 

In order to become a police officer in the United Kingdom you must either be a British citizen, a citizen of a European Union (EU)/European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, or a foreign national with indefinite leave to remain in the UK without restrictions

In terms of your education each force differs as to what they look for. Most forces will request both GCSE's and A-Levels however some forces will allow people who work for the police to apply for instance a Special Constable (Voluntary officer), Police Community Support Officer or a member of police staff who has required training and expertise that they can show. 

With regard to your health, you will attend the force medical centre and undergo a medical test which will advise whether you are medically fit to undertake the role of a police officer, dependant on the results from that test will depend on whether you can be an officer. For eyesight you need to reach 6/36 without your spectacles or lenses.

If you want anymore information feel free to check out http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/index.html which has a wealth of information about become a British police officer alternatively feel free to ask more questions. 

Best of luck with any future application! 🙂

Member Achievements