Advice on heart rate watches

Mdon

Is there any sports enthusiasts out there that have one of the above? I'm wanting one to use when running, cycling, hiking and canoeing as I'm starting to train in heart rate zones. I don't want one with a separate chest belt as it needs to be waterproof enough so you can swim in it (canoeing) and I find them annoying to wear. The ones I'm looking at are garmin forerunner 225, mio alpha 2 and the Tom Tom cardio. GPS isn't overly important but would be a nice addition, I also want it to sync with my iPhone.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated. 

Thanks.
Edited by David
Weird formatting removed

I think @Cheetah has a FitBit and I was considering one too, but the problem I found when looking at them was finding one waterproof enough to swim in! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply, I've just had a look at the Fitbit surge, it looks ok but I'm not bothered about text msg notifications etc. it's strage that it says it's water resistant to 50 meters yet not to be used when swimming? I'd be interested to see what cheetah thinks of it. I'm popping into town so I'll see if I can find any in the outdoor shops to try and have a play with. 

Of no help whatsoever regarding choice, but the water resist thing doesn't mean you can dive to 50 metres.

as a rule, 'water resistant' means splash proof.

50 metres water resistant means ok for washing your hands under a tap.

100 metres is ok for swimming.

its a guide, as not all watches are tested, just a batch, say 2 in 50. It's to do with water being forced into the watch under movement, ie swimming, so swimming at 50 metres under water could exert more pressure on the watch due to moving it, causing a fail.

poorly explained, my apologies :)

if you want a true waterproof watch, you need a COSC tested one, where they test the actual timepiece.

even omegas or rolex don't test all watches, so it can be a gamble even with something costing several thousand pounds...

I've got a Fitbit Surge. I love it, although whilst the weather has been "warm" I've stopped wearing it at night to prevent skin irritation.

I'm mostly using it for tracking steps, heart rate (a little) and the GPS function. I don't really use the text message notification as I don't leave bluetooth switched on on my phone, but you can use it to control the music app to skip tracks. Works with Spotify on the iPhone too.

I sync it to my iPhone with the Fitbit app, I don't bother using the PC sync at all. One word of note, it doesn't sync with the Apple Health app as Fitbit decided not to share their data.

I'm another one who owns a fitbit surge.  Unlike the Flomeister i do wear mine all the time and suffer from terrible skin irritation which although looks bad isn;t painful and i only notice it in the shower, so it may be a consideration factor if you have sensitive skin.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice, I ended up buying the garmin forerunner 225, I've only had it a few days and I have only done one run so far with it. I'm happy with it so far and quite surprised how slow I have to run in order to keep in the aerobic stage.

• Like 1