First Aid

Shikari

Hi all,

I was wondering where I could go for more advanced FA training i.e. trauma, such as sucking chest wounds or applying tourniquets, or serious RTC injuries etc. essentially more than FA at work.

This isn't Police related as such, although it may come in useful, I'm just interested in helping people, and although I'm sure I could learn off of youtube, I'd rather have a formal accreditation to cover my back.

Cheers,

Shikari

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Indiana Jones

• Sir Penguin

• Shikari

• Administrative Account

Hi all,

I was wondering where I could go for more advanced FA training i.e. trauma, such as sucking chest wounds or applying tourniquets, or serious RTC injuries etc. essentially more than FA at work.

This isn't Police related as such, although it may come in useful, I'm just interested in helping people, and although I'm sure I could learn off of youtube, I'd rather have a formal accreditation to cover my back.

Cheers,

Shikari

There is the usual Emergency Aid and also First Aid at Work courses. But they're not really the kind of thing you're after, as the situations you're taught aren't the ones you're likely to come across.

There's a course called FPOS (I) - First Person on Scene (Intermediate), which is what Close Protection and Maritime Security have to study. Depends where you do it, but it usually costs £300ish, and is a 4 day course. Will teach you very relevant stuff, and would also allow you to work as an ECA for a private ambulance company (if you wanted to for some reason)

Edited by AlexM

Thanks all, I'll look into all of them.

@Indiana- I'm already considering joining the army, but there are so many options I don't know what I want to go for.

Thanks all, I'll look into all of them.

@Indiana- I'm already considering joining the army, but there are so many options I don't know what I want to go for.

Go to the Paras! :aok:

Does St John Ambulance still offer first aiding courses?

If you want the very basics then the standard First Aid courses will cover what you need.

If you want something a little more comprehensive with a bit more depth then the First Person on Scene (FPOS) is the way forward. Intermediate is probably the way to go, although there is an Enhanced course but there are only a small number of centres running the FPOS-E in the country.

Some FPOS courses do require you to have some knowledge beforehand, so it would be worth checking with the centre first.

If you want the very basics then the standard First Aid courses will cover what you need.

If you want something a little more comprehensive with a bit more depth then the First Person on Scene (FPOS) is the way forward. Intermediate is probably the way to go, although there is an Enhanced course but there are only a small number of centres running the FPOS-E in the country.

Some FPOS courses do require you to have some knowledge beforehand, so it would be worth checking with the centre first.

I thought that the minimum police course for first aid was the FPoS course. Do some forces do 'less'?

• 1 year later...

To bring an old thread back to life, I'm a first aider at my current work and was wondering is it only AFO'S that have advanced life saving training/ First aid.

I'm still FAAW trained and the Met do them regularly, I'm sure there were a couple of MSC on my last course at ESB.

I've got my first aid course at work on Wednesday, I'll just be going through the motions as I've only just passed my more challenging Red Cross first aid certificate last month. Providing first aid cover at a half marathon on Sunday. :aok:

There is the usual Emergency Aid and also First Aid at Work courses. But they're not really the kind of thing you're after, as the situations you're taught aren't the ones you're likely to come across.

There's a course called FPOS (I) - First Person on Scene (Intermediate), which is what Close Protection and Maritime Security have to study. Depends where you do it, but it usually costs £300ish, and is a 4 day course. Will teach you very relevant stuff, and would also allow you to work as an ECA for a private ambulance company (if you wanted to for some reason)

The FPOS is my highest level so far. Comes in very handy though.

Could you get training through Public Order Unit? Just a thought.