50cc moped Q

Brian wonbo

hi all i indented to buy a 50cc moped as this is all my licence will let me i am aware i can drive it with no L plate and a cbt due to the age of my licence but i am looking at buying a old pre 1980 moped that is not restricted to 30mph but still 50cc

my question is as its still 50cc but has a top speed of more than 30mph but not modified in any way can i go over the 30mph limit ? the dvla site is vague on what im asking as it dont mention any age restrictions

PS i am only looking for opinions not legal advice

thanks

Edited by Brian wonbo

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

It is a bit of a confusing minefield! It is my understanding that if you passed your driving test before 2001 you are entitled to ride a 50cc Scooter/moped that has a top speed not exceeding 30mph.

Now if you have a unmodified 50cc scooter that exceeds 30mph you may have to have a CBT and L plates. I can't really see a 50cc scooter going much faster that 30mph. You will get 35mph tops.

Edited by wanabe

If you're looking for a ped of that age you're really looking at an old school pedal and pop. I doubt very much you'll get much more than 30mph out of an unrestricted one. I'm a bit confused as to what you're asking. Can you break the speed limit, no. Can you have the bike de-restricted and then go faster than 30mph on say a 40 + limit, legally no. Not on a pre-1997 Cat B licence right to ride a 50cc machine. If the bike is "unmodified" and can do more than 30mph then it should be modified so that it cannot. A newer bike by design may not exceed 28mph.

I would recommend that you do CBT none the less. Even if you only ever do it once. Its a very good way of you getting to learn about powered two wheel specific things and give you some time with an instructor who can give you some tips. Driving a motorbike and driving a car are quite different. Learning the right time to do lifesavers can as the name suggests, save your life, as it has mine. Also if you decided to graduate onto a 125cc machine then you could do that with a valid CBT and L plates. Retaking CBT 2 years later isn't really much of a hassle or you could decide to do your big bike test. Do the CBT on a manual 125cc if you can.

What Wannabe said is correct. What you have to be careful of is the insurance. If the bike is capable of more than 30mph and the insurer believes that it is not then it could invalidate your insurance.

Edited by callsign-kid

hi all i indented to buy a 50cc moped as this is all my licence will let me i am aware i can drive it with no L plate and a cbt due to the age of my licence but i am looking at buying a old pre 1980 moped that is not restricted to 30mph but still 50cc

my question is as its still 50cc but has a top speed of more than 30mph but not modified in any way can i go over the 30mph limit ? the dvla site is vague on what im asking as it dont mention any age restrictions

I think what the others have said is correct but for the avoidance of doubt and to reinforce what you already know........ You can ride a moped n/e 50cc and not exceed 30mph. If it could exceed either the 50cc or 30mph then it is outside what you are permitted to ride. It matters not that the moped may not be able to achieve that speed because of its age, or that it is pre 1980 or any other date.

Why not aim to take the CBT and then reduce the limitations of what you can buy/ride and improve your chances of surviva, sorry, I mean inprove your riding skils.

• 2 months later...

Basically, no. 59cc mopeds are designed for a maximum speed of 28mph, with a car licence you can drive it without L plates, correct. You should derestrict it or allow it to go over the limiter, doing so would invalidate your insurance if undeclared (so I'm told ).

Basically, do not modify it, do not derestrict it, keep it simple.

Edit: beaten to information by others.

Edited by eebs