Bicycles and traffic lights

OscarWhiskeyEchoNovember

i keep having this really annoying problem when there is no cars around and im riding on the road and the traffic light doesn't change, i have once waited 10 minutes before, then a car came along and it changed to green, how do i get it to sense my bike

• Like 1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shmook

• OscarWhiskeyEchoNovember

• Indiana Jones

Get a strong magnet and put it on the bottom of your bike frame. Or get off and walk.

Edited by Cs!

Just ride through the red like every other cyclist...

*puts on flameproof coat*

Write to the local authority's highways dept and see their take on it.

I had something similar the other day but with my car. I was on the road adjoining a T junction with a Q of traffic behind me. When my light went green the first time I wasn't able to move off as other traffic had blocked the junction. It went back to red and because the sensor didn't pickup any further traffic moving in my adjoining road, it never changed.

Whomever is responsible for highways planning in the borough of Kingston on Thames talking to. The mess they've made of New Malden high steet is an expensive and dangerous joke too. It wasn't broken before but they had to 'fix' it.

Rant over.

There is a sensor in the middle of the road, generally about 2 metres back from the line, in the middle of the road. Just ride over this before you stop if there are no cars around.

Indeed it 'should' detect your bike unless your bike has Carbon Fibre wheels and frame. Even a spanner is enough to set it off (this may or may not have been the only way to get onto an unmanned military base whenever they changed the gate code and forgot to tell us again...)

• Like 1

Odd, when we had to study traffic lighting systems for IT we were told that they had pressure/weight sensors. Someone's been telling porkies!

Odd, when we had to study traffic lighting systems for IT we were told that they had pressure/weight sensors. Someone's been telling porkies!

Depends on the density its been set to surely? And not all are pressure pads, some are timers and some are sensors detecting movement.

i keep having this really annoying problem when there is no cars around and im riding on the road and the traffic light doesn't change, i have once waited 10 minutes before, then a car came along and it changed to green, how do i get it to sense my bike

Buy a car and some road tax. * awaits rocket propelled spleen. :whistle2: :D

Walk it through the lights?

I find it bizarre that junctions lights are not times to any degree...

Buy a car and some road tax. * awaits rocket propelled spleen. :whistle2: :D

aha, i cant drive due to eyesight standards

Walk it through the lights?

I find it bizarre that junctions lights are not times to any degree...

its still classed as going through a red? dont think lancs RPU would like me if i did, they have lots of unmarked cars about now, so much i dont know whos a PC/SC D:

aha, i cant drive due to eyesight standards

its still classed as going through a red? dont think lancs RPU would like me if i did, they have lots of unmarked cars about now, so much i dont know whos a PC/SC D:

No it isn't. Lanc RPU will not be ticketing you for WALKING across a road pushing a bike.

Buy a car and some road tax.

No such thing as road tax anymore - clicky!

Personally, I'd get off and walk - no way am I waiting 10 minutes for the lights to change!