English suburban culture and the ultimate 'faux pas'

Aspiring MSC

:help:

This is not a policing issue but a rather light-hearted one to canvass opinions.

I share a front lawn with the family upstairs

I came back from the school run earlier today and saw to my dismay that my upstairs neighbours who are foreign have again decided to take advantage of the good weather and dry their washing on a clothes horse in our shared front lawn. While they haven't hung out any undies :) they have a variety of garments in interesting colours. This is becoming a regular occurrence.

I find this shocking as I've never seen anything like this in this area. Besides they have access to the back garden, which if mowed is ideal for drying clothes. I don't want to seem prejudiced or have the old bill banging my door down for making a political incorrect statement to them, so I'm frightened of confronting them about it. But I find it hugely embarrassing and don't want the other neighbours to think they are my clothes.

Apart from wishing # it would rain NOW# How do I broach the topic with them in a sensitive way? They're a lovely family so I don't want to offend them.

Edited by Aspiring MSC

As you quite rightly state - "this is not a policing issue" so topic moved to Help me! Everything Else.

http://www.itv.com/jeremykyle/be-a-guest

Or not...

Just talk to them. "Good morning. Because our front lawn is shared I was wondering how you would feel about moving your washing to the back garden? I'd really appreciate it if you could as it would keep the front of the house neat."

Use your tactical communications skills.

• Like 1

Not sure what them being foreign has to do with the issue at hand?

Surely you can just use your communication skills and just ask politely if they could use the rear garden. You'll either get what you wanted or things will remain the same, but at least you would have tried. I'm not sure there's a leg to stand on since it is a shared front garden so they would surely be within their rights to say no.

:help:

This is not a policing issue but a rather light-hearted one to canvass opinions.

I share a front lawn with the family upstairs

I came back from the school run earlier today and saw to my dismay that my upstairs neighbours who are foreign have again decided to take advantage of the good weather and dry their washing on a clothes horse in our shared front lawn. While they haven't hung out any undies :) they have a variety of garments in interesting colours. This is becoming a regular occurrence.

I find this shocking as I've never seen anything like this in this area. Besides they have access to the back garden, which if mowed is ideal for drying clothes. I don't want to seem prejudiced or have the old bill banging my door down for making a political incorrect statement to them, so I'm frightened of confronting them about it. But I find it hugely embarrassing and don't want the other neighbours to think they are my clothes.

Apart from wishing # it would rain NOW# How do I broach the topic with them in a sensitive way? They're a lovely family so I don't want to offend them.

Why do you feel that you wouldn't be able to speak to them without making a politically incorrect statement?

Not sure what them being foreign has to do with the issue at hand?

Surely you can just use your communication skills and just ask politely if they could use the rear garden. You'll either get what you wanted or things will remain the same, but at least you would have tried. I'm not sure there's a leg to stand on since it is a shared front garden so they would surely be within their rights to say no.

Probably because culturally/traditionally people in Britain hang their washing on the back gardens of their homes?

Just a thought...

I've never come across people hanging their clothing on the front, it does seem a little odd.

Why do you feel that you wouldn't be able to speak to them without making a politically incorrect statement?

Well if the above user I already quoted Fry is anything to go by people are scared to touch ANY topic which folk may interoperate as racial/discriminatory in anyway...

Edited by Radman
  • Like 1

Must admit I can't see a major issue here, but are you able to approach the landlord or managing agents to direct the family to the back garden?

Because someone somewhere will be determined to make it one.

Thanks I will pluck up the courage to speak to them after a glass of wine.

Thanks I will pluck up the courage to speak to them after a glass of wine.

Probably best to speak to them first and have the glass of wine afterwards.

Oh, have you heard the news, there are people going around the area stealing clothes for those 'cash for clothes' companies. Best you keep your washing in the back garden otherwise you might find an empty washing line before you know it...

use this little white lie and they might think its a good idea to move their washing to the secure back garden

Storm and a teacup come to mind.

Yeah it is but on the other side of the coin is it?

This is the sort of low level, little annoyances that can potentially bubble over if left.

Start braaing on the front lawn :)

They'll love that fresh smokey smell.

Edited by Jeebs

Point out to them that its less likely for clothing to get stolen from a secure backyard, it opens a conversation without risking offence

Youre doing them a favour not moaning;) jobjobbed

Edit:read whole topic before posting