Should I go for a service or not bother?

miffy1546082788

So I own a 2011 Renault Clio and since I've owned it, I've only diven about 3000 miles in the past year. Should I service it considering I've owned it for a year?

Found places where it would be serviced for £150+

Edited by miffy
  • Like 1

Yes. An oil change is a must for every car.

You could do a simple service yourself without much trouble. There will be tons of guides available online for the clio...

Yes like Hades says you can do it yourself for cheaper but depends on if you want a dealers stamp in your book!

I'd definitely be servicing it, even with the low mileage. If you intend to sell it later on, then having a service stamp in a book looks great to any poential buyers, and if one was missing on such a new car, I would be a little put off to be honest. When it gets a bit older it will be worth buying the bits and doing it yourself to save some money, but not at three years old.

£150 is a bargain for a service too, my next one is £370!

You could do a simple service yourself without much trouble. There will be tons of guides available online for the clio...

Hades, I had to smile to myself when I read your letter, I remember trying to save some money by changing the oil and filter on my Ford c reg Thames van, I got the engine oil changed ok no bother, then I had to put a new filter on it, Murphy's law being what it is I couldn't unscrew it and was stuck fast, as it happened I had the latest edition of a motoring organisations book of the road where it gave all sorts of help to motorists in trouble, correct sequence of spark plug leads etc,there was even a bit about what to do if you can't get the filter unscrewed, just drive a screwdriver through it to gain more grip/leverage it said, so being a bit young that's what I did, it immediately disintegrated like it was made of paper,oil all over the place and of course I was much worse off and marooned, I couldn't even take it to the garage to get it sorted on Monday morning,so they had to come and pick it up,that cured me for life as far as changing oil and filters go, which I have had done every year for the various cars I've had, whether they needed it or not,I only do about the same mileage, three thousand a year, but as my dear old uncle used to tell me, "leave the making of rice cakes to the rice cake maker"smiley face with the white teeth here.Rich.Ps,miffy don't do what I did.

You must ensure the recommended service schedule is completed every 12,000 or 12 months to maintain the manufactures limited warranty. You don't need to take it strictly to Renault, but any VAT registered garage that uses genuine parts is suitable.

Richamdo wow that sounds like a nightmare! I tend to look to the proffesionals to do most of the car problems

Im going to take it into Renault for the service, looked around the other options was 169.99 whilst renault will do it for 155. Looked like the previous owner didnt service it considering at the back of my mnanual has no servicing stickers at all.

Thanks all

• 2 weeks later...

My last renault (2008 model) was service every 2 years or 18,000miles. Is your Clio not the same?