Account Notice
  • To post a recruitment query in the "Recruitment Areas" or in the "Force Specific Areas" you will require a Recruitment Pass or a Membership Package. Click HERE to read more.
  • Your Account Is Currently Limited
Sign in to follow this  
Administrative Account

Browsers crashing PC

Administrative Account

Hi all,

One for the techies! Basically my computer (PC running Windows 7) crashes randomly when I'm printing out packing slips via Google Chrome. I've tried Firefox and Explorer but the same thing happens.

When the browser crashes the only way to rectify it is a hard reboot of the PC by pressing on holding the power button. I can't ctrl alt delete to stop the browser as a running process, close the browser or do anything else at all on the PC.

I've scanned for malware via Malwarebytes, checked the RAM memory via windows memory checker and also cleared the TCP/IP stack via WINSOCK.

The PC doesn't seem to crash when I'm doing anything else other than trying to print (it crashes loading a print screen)

Printer is a Brother HL-5340D laser printer, could it be that that's causing the problem and is there any way I can check it?

Member Achievements

NavyIce

Does the crash happens only when printing packing slips from browsers or even other types of documents (i.e. a Word doc)?

Member Achievements

Buck

As per above work out the cause, can you borrow another printer and try that? Or try a pdf printer app?

Member Achievements

Administrative Account

I haven't tried printing word docs to be honest, but if it did what might be the cause?

Member Achievements

Soap

I haven't tried printing word docs to be honest, but if it did what might be the cause?

Printer drivers would be my guess if the PC is crashing as something goes to print. Unfortunately, Printer technology hasn't come on much over the years and many drivers are pretty archaic!

• Like 1

Member Achievements

Charlie

I get a BSOD on the odd occasion using Chrome on an otherwise very stable PC. I haven't nailed down to any particular action, just general browsing.

Member Achievements

Administrative Account

Just did some printing of packing slips (about 20) and no problems then. But when it happens it seems to be when the browser is getting details from the internet for the packing slip. The fault occurs before I press the final print button that sends the information to the printer.

Member Achievements

Soap

I get a BSOD on the odd occasion using Chrome on an otherwise very stable PC. I haven't nailed down to any particular action, just general browsing.

I've heard of this before too, apparently it's due to chrome's engine, WebKit, and the way in which it manages memory. Look at the task manager next time you have chrome open and you'll notice it creates and individual process for each tab and extension. It allows for easy memory management and should mean that if one page is slow for whatever reason, it doesn't clog up the other pages.

STopping that from happening however, I have no idea.

Member Achievements

QuiteSpecial

Not wanting to state the obvious, but have you tried downloading to your PC then printing normally rather than through Chrome?

Just did some printing of packing slips (about 20) and no problems then. But when it happens it seems to be when the browser is getting details from the internet for the packing slip. The fault occurs before I press the final print button that sends the information to the printer.

Shouldn't be really as usually the data isn't taken straight from the server when printing, instead it's downloaded when you first load the webpage.

Edited by QuiteSpecial

Member Achievements

I'd be trying 2 things for starters. First thing fully remove the print driver and reinstalling the latest from their website. The second thing is to uninstall and reinstall flash player. Many web based apps use flash, and this could be the cause.

You could try using IE in safe mode?

Click on start, and where it says "search programs and files" type internet explorer. You'll get 2 things for IE, run the one saying (no add-ons). That will at least get you to a place where you can rule out plugins.

If that works, you could look at resetting IE back to factory defaults to see if that helps.

That'd be my starting point before looking too deep

edit: create a second profile on the PC, and see if that causes the same issue. It could be a corrupted profile.

Edited by 5460

Member Achievements

Sign in to follow this