What weight should I aim for?

Shikari

Hi all,

I feel slightly awkward asking this question because frankly it's a bit daft but: Can some one tell me a target weight that I should be working towards benching and curling (and other exercises if you want to add them) for Police work?

It's a bit silly asking this, but I like having a goal to work towards rather than aimlessly adding more weight. I'm looking for something that means I'll be average/above average strength for most policing situations.#

Thanks,

Edited by Shikari

Not a question I've come across before but that's no problem.

Lifting weights is whatever you can manage, and depending on your level of fitness and strength will ofcourse alter what you lift. 3 sets of 10 reps or 3 sets of 8 reps (with heavier weight) would be the standard benchmark so to speak. Start light, work your way up and never complete a workout that you find "easy".

Don't worry about the numbers, you are training your body, not your ego :new_shades:

Hi Shikari,

A number of factors would contribute in what weight you should be lifting/ aiming to lift.

Firstly, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh? No problem if you don't want to tell but I would say as a general rule it is always handy if you can deal with your own body weight initially. For example, I weigh 11 stone, and am capable of lifting that weight on a bench press. If you are not able to do that yet, I would suggest starting off by doing press-ups on a regular basis until you can do around 10 without stopping. Press-ups are a fantastic exercise in terms of developing your upper body and core/abdominal strength and I would swear by them. I've never actually been a keen weight lifter by trade myself and am not the biggest expert, but I do have some background in personal training. If you are able to start lifting around your body weight you can then move on to upping the weights little by little. Hopeful.applicant is right about sets and reps as well!

Considering your question has been about being of average/above average strength I would say anyone should be able to lift their own weight, and if they were considered "strong", 1 and a half times their body weight. Remember, "strength" is different for different people. If a 15 stone man was asked to bench press his body weight, it shouldn't be as much as an issue for him as a 10 stone man to lift 15 stone, as the 15 stone man is used to carrying around his own body weight. The 10 Stone man would be considered incredibly strong for his size being able to lift that weight. So basically, your own definition of strength, should be defined by your weight and body shape more than anything else. However, like Hopeful.Applicant has said, do what you're comfortable with.

Hope this has helped! :)

Edited by Brad

I'm not new to weight lifting to anything, I just find that having a goal works as better motivation for me than just adding weight whenever. It's not a case of being able to say "I can bench such and such a weight", It's more that when you see built people (Mark Wahlberg is an ideal example as he's the same height as me), I always wonder what weight they lift to be that size (Not that I want to be as hench as Wahlberg.

I'm 5'8" and about 65kg, I bench 50kg at 3x8, and curl 25kgs very easy.

Aiming for benching my weight is a good idea to start with, so cheers for that.

To be honest, a (practical) goal I'd set would be to be strong enough to do a muscle up (or set of)