Hiring a field for a stag do

prolixia

I have just begun planning a stag do for my brother. What he would really like is for a large group of his friends (about 20 or so) to go camping. We would have a bonfire, set up a bar, do some stupid challenges, that kind of thing. I'm thinking along the lines of the Peak District, maybe Cumbria.

Although the activities won't be particularly wild, what we clearly need is a private campsite, well away from families hoping to get a peaceful night's sleep. When I say campsite, all I really mean is a field we can hire for a weekend in which we could camp and light a fire (I expect that we would also hire a port-a-loo). Showers are not necessary, although proximity to nice pubs would be a plus.

An initial Google serach didn't turn up much. Anyone have any suggestions for places to look for this kind of thing?

I arranged a Stag-do event a couple of years back for a party of 8 - we wanted open fields, basic amenities for the nights and most of all, a remote location where we wouldn't disturb the locals.

This is where we decided on:

https://www.lakelandcampingbarns.co.uk/barns/bents-camping-barn

Camping Barns in general sound like the sort of thing you should be looking at.

Hope that helps!

Edited by G.Retriever
  • Like 1

I would research local farmers and ring them up also check with local council and rangers for limitations

Oh and don't forget camping and caravan club as well

Have you considered Snowdonia or Brecon Beacons?

Plenty of places away from the mainstream tourist and walkers places but still close enough for help if needed.

Remember you can't light fires when wild camping

Remember you can't light fires when wild camping

Yes you can

The lighting of fires is discouraged when wild camping

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting/wheretostay/wildcamping

It's illegal in England anyway unless you have the landowners permission. Trying to find who owns what land is near impossible hence why I suggested Scotland. You can light fires there and you don't have to go seeking the landowners.

Wild camping is generally tolerated in England & Wales as long as you follow the guidance that's easily found (such as I posted earlier). No need to scare people off wild camping, it's an excellent thing to do.

I fear that wild camping, as fun as it would be, isn't really compatible with a hoard of men drinking beer and playing raucous games. I like the idea of a camping barn a lot though - I suspect this is exactly what we need and it isn't something I'd heard of before.

Many thanks, chaps.

Just be warned that some camping barns allow anyone to book so you could end up with strangers also there who want to sleep. Just make sure you speak to be barn owner to determine what or who the barn is used for.

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to 'result' this topic, for the benefit of anyone who finds it whilst asking a similar question.

The stag do was last weekend and we booked a field in the Lake District and hired some really awesome camping gear (large military tent with a wood burner, fire pits, toilets, huge BBQ, water barrels, etc.) from privatecamping.co.uk, which is run by a guy who acts as an intermediary between farmers and people wanting to camp on their land. Worked out very reasonably too.

I'd thoroughly recommend these guys if anyone is looking for something similar in the future.

Thanks for your suggestions guys - they were really helpful and helped steer me down the successful route we finally took.