Any Plumbers/Builders?

cyswork

Hello strangers! :D

I am fed up with fixing taps at home, so I was wondering if theres anyone here that would be able to help fix our kitchen tap (Paid of course!) and possibly give me a quote to knock down a wall to extend/rebuild our kitchen from here?

I'm not sure I'm even allowed to post such posts on PS.com? If not no hard feelings please delete!

(Desperate times! And sick of rip off plumbers!)

I've knocked down many walls. Unfortunately demolition is my forte, the building side not so much! Where do you live?

South London... I feel it may be a complete refitting of the kitchen and extend into our dining room so that theres more space to run around!

The tap probably just needs a new washer. The question with the wall will be if its load bearing because if it is that may cause a bit of a headache depending on how much of the wall you want taking out. Mind you pre-stressed concrete lintel should do the trick, does in most cases. Consult a professional first though.

Well the wall definitely was put up by builders before we moved in and it's hollow.. wish I could knock it down myself to be honest.. Had a quote from someone today who wanted £2k just to break it down excluding tax and other stuff!

I hate taps! I changed the bathroom tap a while ago it was a bit of a nightmare to say the least! Don't want to go through that again.. *big sighs!*

Wow, cys, LTNS :)

Taps should be easy, whether it's changing a washer or the whole unit. But, I feel your pain and frustration regardless.

Have you thought about checking sites like checkatrade.com and the likes? They usually give good reviews, and often they'll give a guesstimate via email to save wasting everyone's time.

2k to take down a non-load bearing wall and get rid of the rubbish does seem rather exhorbitant. Did that price include the cost of a lintel?

Sorry, I might have had a contact for you but SW is too far, as they are both very busy and only go as far as SE. £2K is way too much for that sort of work. I knocked down about 100m of brick wall in a school once. Took me two days including installing the supports and clearing the rubble. Knocking down a kitchen wall and clearing it is a day's work for two people tops, even if you have to remove hoods or boilers from the wall.

Well I'm definitely changing the tap first because we need to use that.. But we needed to make plans for a refurb of the kitchen not in a rush but I didn't want anyone to do it.

Thanks for the website will have a look. and 2k was just knocking it down no other parts included! All there is to the wall is a cupboard on the other side. I did tell the guy it was hollow and not brick, I reckon he looked at the street we live on and thought he could rip us off.

Thanks for finding out anyway smarty

Hey 5460 long time indeed! :)

Cys, what the stuffin' happened to you? I am guessing Mr Cys/roomie/equivolent is not the DIY type either? :p Have you tried to change the washer, or is this something that really doesn't interest you to the point that you'd rather pay a lot more to get it done? Shame you're so far away or I'd pop in to give you a hand :( Boooo, I'd have done it for a cheese salad sandwich :p

Its like a mini reunion in here! :new_wave: <<< Am loving this smiley by the way!!

I just want to get our tap fixed at least, I can't be asked to change it myself its really fiddly and buying the correct tap with the correct pipes etc! Rather get someone to sort it also see if I could get a quote for a refit of the kitchen! You wouldn't believe the state of it at the moment! Everything looks old and run down!

Thanks for everyone's input, if anyone else has any recommended builders let me know please :aok: