Need a new laptop for work

Charlie

Can anyone recommend a laptop for me?! Even if you don't know about specific models, just makes to go for and makes to avoid would be good. I've read good things about Dell, Toshiba and Lenovo and read bad things about HP and Medion although that just might be hearsay!

Budget is £400 cash but could maybe stretch to a little more if a place does 12 months interest free finance like Sony.

Need:

• Enough RAM and processing power to handle lots of office-like programs open at once, moderate photo editing and HD video.
  • At least 15 inches of screen size.
  • At least 500GB of HDD space (although to be fair I'll probably put an SSD in it....)
  • Good enough on board graphics card to handle said HD video and photo editing.

Doesn't need (as in, don't mind whether it has these features or not):

• Touch screen.
  • Windows 8.
  • Great speakers.
  • To look nice or sleek.
  • To be used for gaming. I have a PC for that. :new_yes:

Any help would be much appreciated - I know a few things here and there about PCs but no nothing about the latest laptops!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlie

• Theoretical

• Policey_Man

Hey,

Would you like to make it yourself? (You can save money) Or would you like a pre-built laptop?

Hey,

Would you like to make it yourself? (You can save money) Or would you like a pre-built laptop?

Pre-built I'm afraid. I made my PC myself and enjoyed it but I need something quick for a job I'm working on, but will probably use it for work for several years after. Thanks for reply.

Edit: I should have made it clearer - I don't want to edit HD video; just watch it. But I do want the hardware to do a bit of photo and graphics editing here and there and I don't think £400 is too little to ask to achieve that.

Edited by DukeDan

Pre-built I'm afraid. I made my PC myself and enjoyed it but I need something quick for a job I'm working on, but will probably use it for work for several years after.

Ah Ok, I've had a look on a few sites and I have found this;

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-n278sa-15-6-laptop-silver-21862507-pdt.html#longDesc

I'll also include a link for the reviews of this laptop, In my opinion there is a good amount of ram, plenty of storage and a good processor there for the money. Hope this helps :)

Reviews: http://mark.reevoo.com/reevoomark/en-GB/product?retailer=PCG&sku=21862507&stars=true

Thanks Theoretical, I've been umming and arring about that one today!

Edited by DukeDan

I haven't looked at laptops for a few months, but in general, I can strongly recommend Toshiba and Packard Bell.

I used to have a Sony laptop and whilst they are excellent, I would say that they are expensive for what they are in the price range you're looking at and they don't compare well against the competition in that price range. So if you want to get a bit more for your buck whilst on a budget, I'd probably avoid them until you've got about £800+ to spend on Sony.

• Like 1

Thanks Theoretical, I've been umming and arring about that one today!

No problem, I've found a few more within your price range and specs.

Laptop 1

Laptop 2

Laptop 3

Edited by Theoretical
  • Like 1

No problem, I've found a few more within your price range and specs.

Laptop 1

Laptop 2

Laptop 3

DukeDan - Just in case you're thinking that you've never heard of Lenov, I had the same thought about a year or so ago when I was looking for something new. It turns out that apparently they are an arm of IBM that are generally aimed at the business market and thus aren't a very well known brand in the consumer market, but they are in the business world. And a very good brand at that.

• Like 1

Personally I've always gone for Thinkpads which used to be made by IBM but are now made by Lenovo. Not all Lenovos are Thinkpads though. I've probably bought about 30 laptops from www.laptopsdirect.co.uk and never had any issues.

MacBook Pro all the way!

Spot the member who hasn't seen the budget ;)

TBH, at that budget it doesn't really matter what you go for, but I tend to Dell or HP.

• Like 2

My work laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad T410 and it's decent enough, bit old now mind but that's not the laptops fault...

Have you thought about a Chromebook? http://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chrome/devices/chromebooks.html

Requirements + notes:

• RAM - 4gb in some of the newer ones, more than enough
  • Screen - All about 14" but the resolution is 1366x768 on most which is about what some cheap 15" laptops come out to be so you don't loose any real estate.
  • Storage - Most of the chromebooks come with 100gb free google drive space, and the device itself already has an SSD
  • Graphics - Nothing at your price point will allow you to do any real HD video editing. However both video and photo editing can be done online with many tools. With a 15" screen you'll find it hard to do either of those anyway.
  • C720P has a touchscreen

As you already have a PC you can use chrome remote desktop to do things you need to on a windows machine, drive works better than word for quick file editing if you don't need backwards compat with office.

I LOVE my chromebook I use it all the time much easier and quicker to use for most things and the things its not gaming and some windows only apps i use my PC for or remote desktop.

And at only £200-300 you can save abit of money and do something fun :)

Toshiba Satelite Pro isn't bad and should do the job, pretty cheap too!