I want to build a SFF PC for gaming

IrateShrike

I'm getting fed up of using the Xbox controller for FPS games, I want to go back to mouse/keyboard like I used to. I know there are some adapters but they are quite expensive and still don't emulate how you would play on a PC.

I haven't really got room at the moment for a large desktop system so what I want to do is build a small but high-powered SFF/media centre PC (if possible) and rig it up to my 39" Panasonic HDTV in my living room. I'll work out the ergonomics of how I can use the mouse and keyboard in due course. The main issue is that I've been out of the loop on PC hardware for about 4 years now, reading the old websites like Overclockers etc bring up all manner of AMD, Intel, Nvidia products and I don't know what represents good value.

My last PC build was back in 2007 when I built a desktop system based on a Intel Core2 Duo (E6420) system with an Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS. I had the CPU liquid cooled and I got it running at 3.2 GHz (8x400) no problems, which was obviously a massive power increase from the stock speed of just over 2.1 GHz I think. It played the newest games at max details for three years or so with no problems but then the GPU failed out of warranty and I just broke the rest of the system down and sold it on Ebay.

I don't really have a budget, if cost is prohibitive I just won't do it. Any advice is appreciated :)

ads - The big issue you have with an SFF PC is that generally the components will be smaller. Consequently, they cost more - whilst it's entirely feasible to do, the performance generally wouldn't be expected to match that of a "normal" scale PC.

To run at the resolution needed for that tv and game you're going to need quite a beefed up graphics card. Possibly along the lines of an Nvidia GTX670 or 760. These are big components which may not fit into a small media pc you require. I would recommend looking at a company called FreshTechSolutions. I bought my pc from them for around £1000, where as other competitors for the same spec we're looking at nearer £2500.

Thanks for the replies :)

I've just thought of another idea - I could build an ATX-based system if I used a midi ATX case that was horizontal as opposed to a tower, as it would replace both my Xbox 360 and DVD player which are stacked on the bottom shelf of my TV unit.

So assuming this is a goer (and it makes sense really), my next question - what represents the best value for money in terms of CPU and graphics cards these days? I went from AMD/ATi to Intel/Nvidia but I don't know who is the leader today?

Edited by adslegend

my gaming pc was a entry level but small and compact, loved it until my motherboard cut out, but they are cheap to find

Should probably have actually listed my spec rather than just copying the shopping list.

The case is a mid level tower with 4x 5.25" bays, 6x 3.5" bays and 2x 2.5" bays.

Motherboard is an MSI Z87-G65 which supports the latest 4th Gen CPUs, Rear I/O has 4x USB3, 2x USB2, 5.1 Dolby supported Soundblaster Cinema and intelligent high speed Gaming PS2 port, also has headers for an additional 2x USB3 ports and 6x USB2 ports (including 2 'always on' power with intelli-boost power to turn them into quick-charge ports for when you have your phone or tablet plugged in even if the PC is shutdown), 6x SATA6G/SATA3.0 sockets, mSATA port, Military Class 4 hardware (to survive and operate at its best despite dust and extreme heat), Dual Channel RAM capable of taking DDR3 up to 3000MHz(Overclocked), Killer e2200 ethernet control for intelligent internet biasing (i.e. if you're gaming it'll prioritise the bandwidth to the game traffic over general traffic, if you're streaming video it'll prioritise its bandwidth to the video stream etc.) and even comes with one click Auto-OverClocking.

CPU chip is the latest Intel Core i5-4670 with quad 3.4GHz cores supporting Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHZ

Memory is DDR3 1600MHZ (Funnily enough given the chip support)

HDDs are Western Digital 2TB models with 64MB Cache, SATA6G/SATA3.0 and <8.9ms average seek time