Welfare concern for a pet after a residential visit

jamieMET

Hi everyone, I feel I need to ask for some advice regarding an enquiry I attended last night and came faced with a scene I strangely have not faced yet on duty...

We arrived at the address for an arrest inquiry, of which the wanted person was present with one other male. Now the address was not in great shape, but not the worst I have been in by a long shot, but was still very dirty and smelly and generally poor condition for an animal to be living in, let alone a human! In the corner of a room was a cage with a very small dog. The other male (not wanted) said it was his dog, which was just over a year old Jack Russell cross-breed. I am a dog owner myself, and the dog looked very thin and small, under-grown even? The dog was very timid and quiet, just stood there in the cage looking at us the whole time we was in the property. Unfortunately the wanted male was known to be a handful which prevented me questioning either of them about the dog, whether they had food for it etc.

I do not wish to jump to any conclusions and state I believe the owner is miss-treating the dog, but there was clear signs on financial hardship, and I regret not mentioning it.

How should I deal with this going forward, and what could I possibly do to raise my concerns regarding this dog? I could obviously call the RSPCA and raise my concerns with them as a tip-off, but should I mention I am an officer? Or is there an internal method I can follow when I am back on duty tonight?

• Like 1

Speak to your supervision, I'm sure there is some way of raising concern either with the RSPCA or the council who will have a department to deal with this. I know our force has done a raid with the RSPCA to recover some dogs thought to be used for fighting.

Personally I would do it as an officer, but do it officially. It adds more weight to it.

• Like 1

As above, speak to supervision.You will have procedures in place for this type of thing. Generally just a referral to the RSPCA and let them deal.

• Like 1

Thanks both, I will speak with the skipper tonight regarding referring it over.

Just a small update if anyone was interested. I logged the incident with the RSPCA and await feedback from the officer on how they wish to proceed with the case if any.

• Like 4

When I've done a warrant and found a pet it's a call straight to the RSPCA they're really good.

The only exception was when I did a warrant at a cannabis factory with the Local Authority present as they were taking possession of the property following our warrant (nice bit of joined up working), we put the door in and found a small dog (I forget the type), as the L.A were taking the property back the dog became their problem.

• 3 months later...

That's good to hear jamieMET, hope the RSPCA do something about it.

Must resist urge to rant about RSPCA..........RESIST