CHIS, MOPI, 5x5x5 and RIPA

thurdles

Hey guys! Just doing an assignment and wondering if you could show some light onto these things in a day to day experience and also how they effect or help your work. They are: CHIS (Covert Human Intelligence Source), MOPI (Management of Police Intelligence), 5x5x5 grading system and RIPA (Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act).

Thanks

What exactly are you after? The impact these have on your work as an officer will vary depending upon the job you do. Many if not most officers will have no dealings with CHIS. All should be familiar with and use 5x5x5. MOPI and RIPA will probably play a role in most officer's work but only a minor one in the grand scheme of things.

Just worried about not asking about operation information but I would be interested in current practices which are involved. If this breaches the information you can give out, then don't worry about it :)

British Journal of Criminology

THE IMPACT OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS ACT 1998 ON POLICING

IN ENGLAND AND WALES

Karen Bullock and Paul Johnson (2011?)

Your University should have access to this journal, the article links the HRA to RIPA outlining perspectives on the legislation held by serving Officers and how the Acts protect Officers more than the public.

Maybe it's the lawyer in me that isn't sure what you mean by current practices. There is a fair amount of information about MOPI and RIPA out there in the public domain, and there are some very interesting court cases of recent years on MOPI - in fact in one of them it was struck down and declared unlawful, though I believe that decision has been appealed.