Plumbing Question! Replacing immersion heaters with instantaneous water heater

Administrative Account

In my flat I have only got electricity (no gas). I'm on an economy 7 electricity tariff (I have storage heaters).... My hot water comes from a cylinder, fed from a tank. The cylinder is fitted with 2 immersion heaters - ones at the top and is supposed to be the top-up and one at the bottom is the economy 7 one. The bottom one is knackered at the moment so at the moment I'm just running on the top one which is no doubt going to be cripplingly expensive when the bill comes through... Which made me think...

If I were to get rid of the cylinder totally and replace it with an instantaneous water heater would that work?

something like this: http://www.aquahot.co.uk/redring-rp12-powerstream-instantaneous-water-heater-12kw.html

I have an electric shower so I don't need high pressure, it's only for the sinks and the bath (which doesn't get used that much).

Getting rid of the cylinder would free up masses of storage space for me which I have none of at the moment too.

How much of a job would it be? I'm thinking in terms of cost mostly.... Also, if it is a feasible solution what sort of power would it need to be (KW wise), can anyone recommend one?

Thanks all!

My neighbour did exactly that as have the same issue at our flats in Haslemere, no gas and no central heating, his seems to work fine, it depends on the tank size but you need to factor in the cost of the expansion tank on top of the heater cost and the various fittings - I know that he had his fitted including parts for under £500 but if you want a bigger capacity it will obviously cost more.

In my flat I have only got electricity (no gas). I'm on an economy 7 electricity tariff (I have storage heaters).... My hot water comes from a cylinder, fed from a tank. The cylinder is fitted with 2 immersion heaters - ones at the top and is supposed to be the top-up and one at the bottom is the economy 7 one. The bottom one is knackered at the moment so at the moment I'm just running on the top one which is no doubt going to be cripplingly expensive when the bill comes through... Which made me think...

If I were to get rid of the cylinder totally and replace it with an instantaneous water heater would that work?

something like this: http://www.aquahot.co.uk/redring-rp12-powerstream-instantaneous-water-heater-12kw.html

I have an electric shower so I don't need high pressure, it's only for the sinks and the bath (which doesn't get used that much).

Getting rid of the cylinder would free up masses of storage space for me which I have none of at the moment too.

How much of a job would it be? I'm thinking in terms of cost mostly.... Also, if it is a feasible solution what sort of power would it need to be (KW wise), can anyone recommend one?

Thanks all!

We have just done this in our house, our trusty boiler of 28 years with a tank in the loft have now gone!

In terms of cost, it was an expensive job (I didn't pay for it as I only pay rent to my parents) but they said it will be worth it. The bills have come down and the house is considerably warmer. The boiler they went for is the combi boiler which provides hot water on tap (pardon the pun) and for the radiators. The boiler was expensive but my parents found the most expensive bit was the cost of re-plumbing the place and getting the boiler installed.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all!

Several points to your decision. It is a fact that with a well insulated tank its cheaper to leave your heater on than it is to keep heating it up from cold( allowing its not to long between uses)

You could quite easily change the wires over so your economy tariff runs the top heater at night and still be able to use it as a booster heater in the day, which will cut you bills. The top heater isnt ideally positioned for this, so it wont be as efficient as it was. just better than it is now. But replacing the bottom heater is almost as little trouble as diddling the wiring

So to your actual question, there will be substantial savings to be made with your new heater over the immersion heaters. but its going to cost quite a lot to do it, if your paying a plumber, as its quite a job with a lot of pipe work alterations. So the question is how long will it take till your in profit ? and that depends on a load of variables around how many baths you have a week and how often you wash up

You may find that leaving the tank as it is and getting an instantaneous water heater just for your kitchen sink which is a lot easier job and putting the Immersion heater on just if you really want a bath is the cheapest solution

Edited by jakeN