Shotgun safe and licence question

Jeebs1546081084

Alright,

I'm looking at putting in for my s/g cert. and was wondering about where I can locate a safe (note: not cabinet, safe).

I know that firearms should not be sorted in outbuildings etc, but what about a garage attached to my house? At the moment it's the only place where I can really bolt it to the floor and wall without making a mess/having to reorganise the house.

It's only accessible from the exterior of the house (i.e no door from indoors to the garage) and has a traditional "up and over" style door. It is alarmed and has a car parked up against the door pretty much all the time, unless access is required.

I plan on purchasing a proper safe, rather than a cabinet, although I don't know how much this will affect the FLOs decision.

Can anybody offer any insight?

Edited by Jeebs

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeebs1546081084

• Shmook

• Burnie

• olb30

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing to do is ask your local issuing force licensing team, they can advise you.

I know in MetLand the team are very helpful and proactive in preventing any breaches etc.

Alright,

I'm looking at putting in for my s/g cert. and was wondering about where I can locate a safe (note: not cabinet, safe).

I know that firearms should not be sorted in outbuildings etc, but what about a garage attached to my house? At the moment it's the only place where I can really bolt it to the floor and wall without making a mess/having to reorganise the house.

It's only accessible from the exterior of the house (i.e no door from indoors to the garage) and has a traditional "up and over" style door. It is alarmed and has a car parked up against the door pretty much all the time, unless access is required.

I plan on purchasing a proper safe, rather than a cabinet, although I don't know how much this will affect the FLOs decision.

Can anybody offer any insight?

Jeebs "it should not be in a garage, shed, or other outside building except in certain circumstances and should be fixed to brick or block walls and out of sight".but If you were to type in "Home office firearms security"into your search engine you will find a full and very comprehensive leaflet on their requirements or recommendations, but as R5! Above rightly says it is still wise to see if the firearms officer can call round to see you to satisfy what she/he wants, there are a few different levels of security dependant on your location.Rich.

Damsel holds a shotgun licence, I'm sure she will be along to answer your question.

I've got a shotgun ticket (I'm in lancs), and was told garages are a no-no...

But, if you're getting a safe, not a cabinet, I believe they don't have to be bolted if over a certain weight (I think 20cwt, but not sure) which is bloody heavy, so garage may actually be best for that!

Best best is speak to your FLO, mine was really helpful and was nice and informal when meeting. For example, in my first house, the safe was secured to a wooden wall, albeit a semi detached dividing wall, but still.

Why do you want a safe over a smaller, easier-to-position cabinet?

Also, if only one shotty required, have you considered a gun clamp instead?

I'm aware of all the regulations and have read all the bumph about where to put it etc. the problem I have at the moment is there is physically no space for me to put it in the house, and it's unlikely I will be able to make space.

I figured that a safe combined with an alarmed and secured, in a very low crime area should be enough to keep the FLO happy. As many of you have said, get him round to have a look and a chat.

A s/g clamp is impractical as I have 4 guns in storage, waiting to be put on a cert which were gifted to me by a friend. It's just been finding the time and money to sort it out :)

Edited by Jeebs

I am a SGC holder.

Outbuildings / garages will not get you a certificate.

Secure storage is a must and a cabinet is the ideal and most favoured solution. You won't have any issues in your application with a decent cabinet.

My advice is to find a cupboard, cloakroom, somewhere under the stairs out of the way, and out of sight of casual visitors to put your cabinet.

Attics have been a topic of discussion for SGC holders and the general assumption is that they are not favoured by your force FEO (Firearms enquiry officer)

as they believe you will be less inclined to put the gun away when you are done. Too much effort.

If you want advice, guidance on your application then feel free to PM me.

Damsel holds a shotgun licence, I'm sure she will be along to answer your question.

My other half does.

I've not really got anything to add to what's already been posted. We don't have a garage attached to the house, so the question/thought of putting a cabinet or safe in there didn't really arise. I can't imagine that the FLO would be too pleased about it though.

We ended up dismantling a cupboard, installing a gun cabinet and then rebuilding the cupboard around it. It was the only way that it was going to fit. We have a 9 gun cabinet, with a separate safe for cartridges, all built into a cupboard with 2 five lever mortice locks on the door as well.

You'd actually be surprised where you can put a gun cabinet. I believe that you can now also buy 30" high gun cabinets, for those areas where a standard one won't fit (under the stairs maybe), so that you break the gun to lock it away. There's usually an option that will suit most needs without having to resort to trying to get a licence 'out of the house'.

Also might be worth noting that cartridges don't have to be kept in a secure compartment, so that can reduce the need for space.

As above, I helped a friend fit a cabinet in a wardrobe.

Cut a section out of the back panel the same size as the cabinet, and bolted the cabinet to an exterior wall.

I will be doing this with my cabinet too. When I get round to renovating our bedroom!

Edited by Shmook

Ill have to have a think, I don't really have any wardrobes to dismantle and rebuild, there's a couple of cupboards I could put a safe at the back of, but they're mostly plasterboard so don't really offer anything to secure a safe to. Plus there's the small matter of finding somewhere to put all the gibbins out of the cupboard.

As most have said a talk with a FLO is probably best, I believe one works out of a nick in my sector, so it's not exactly a chore.

As said before, could you not use a smaller cabinet, and store your guns broken?

Further, I forgot to mention before, but storing them in the garage will expose them to large temperature ranges, and differing humidities too, none of which are good for things made of wood and metal!

Yeah I am aware of that. As I said, the only viable space at the moment is in the garage. If worst comes to worst, I'll be clearing a cupboard and drilling in to the masonry ;)

Temp change and humidity isnt too much of an issue as its insulated etc. Humidity can be mitigated with industrial silica gel packs.