Whose Right?

heywhatsup

Since it's a general discussion I thought I will bring up what happend to me.

I was parked on private land, in a secure car park. I left the car there in the late afternoon and came back to pick it up about 10ish. Upon arrival the gate was locked and closed. There was one security guard however patrolling. I asked if I could get my car removed from the car park he refused and said the whole centre is closed and I will have to come back in the morning to pick it up. I refused from going away and waited until I got my car. He said that he could've clamped it if he wished but didn't. After 10 minutes of waiting he called management up and they said that take his licence details etc and they will get in contact with local council about me.. Sounds confusing right? I gave him my licence details because I really urgently wanted my car back to get home and he took down my address ONLY and name ONLY. He said he will get the rest of the details from my number plate.. Weird.

I asked what he will be doing with my details he said he will pass it over to management to deal with it and most probably will be reported to the council. Can this be done?

Anyways I got my car back so that's the good news.

Now where I think is right, There are NO signs that says the car park will be closed at... , There is a sign for wheel clamping in operation only but no further details given.

If your with your friends at this stage, would you call for help or ?

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

This is a civil matter. I've moved this to 'Help Me' where it's better suited.

I'd consider that the security guard was having a little power trip, play along with his little game for a bit then get the car back and don't think about it again

You legally cannot be clamped on private land (unless it is done under some very specific powers by police/dvla/council/balliffs) since October.

The management company may have taken your details so that they may try and issue you an invoice for illegally parking on their land, be very hard to get the money if you refuse. They may also want your details so that if you park there again and get locked in they will just make you wait until the next day to get your car back as you are aware of the closing time now.

Also, he/they can report it to anyone they want, you reported it here, it doesn't mean anything will (or can) be done with that report. It is very unlikely the Council will care about the report, and our normal reaction when someone calls up is "what do you want us to do about it?".

Personally if in this situation I would be calling up some friends with some tools to dismantle the gate if they refused to let me out.

Edited by gordon

Personally if in this situation I would be calling up some friends with some tools to dismantle the gate if they refused to let me out.

This. If there were definitely no signs up, the gate would be in pieces.