Missing parcel, advise please

Aspiring MSC

Morning and happy Christmas everyone! Sorry it's a long one.

For as long as I've lived in my flat, coming up to four years that is I've taken delivery of and signed for my next door neighbour's parcel with whom I share a communal hallway. A courier would knock my door as it's adjacent to hers and ask if I could kindly accept her parcel sometimes huge boxes and I have. I'd then ask them to indicate on their delivery card that I had it. Sure enough when she arrived back home she'd knock my door no matter what time and if I'm in I'd hand her her parcel. I didn't really mind as she's a nurse and works round the clock and she's appreciative. I think she's a collector of some sort or redecorating her apartment or something, not sure.

Anyway she knocked on my door yesterday evening and asked if I'd taken delivery of her parcel, I then said I hadn't on this occasion. She then told me that she's posted a note on her front door on Saturday to ask her courier to take the parcel to the building opposite us don't know why, but apparently they hadn't done so? Well I didn't have it so I thought nothing of it and said good bye. A little while later she's knocked my door again as she's been unto the Courier service website and accessed her online receipt and it said the parcel had been left with a person in flat x my flat!! and signed for by a COICG ? I was shocked. We share the same post code so it's easy for the couriers to know my address. I told her categorically that I hadn't got any parcels of hers and she could see into my living room anyway and it was meant to be a big parcel. She showed me the online entry and it definitely said my flat.So I advised her to ring up the courier service and let me speak to them as I felt I had been incriminated, but she said oh no don't worry about it on line it says I have 2 more parcels due for delivery today anyway, so we'll see.

I asked her to speak to the other neighbours as there are 8 other flats in our building. I heard her talking to a new neighbour on the flat above us as my flat's on two levels so I can hear people in both hallways and he said something about seeing a courier on Saturday?? then asked her if she's spoken to the lady in flat X me :)) as it said on the receipt that's where it was delivered to. Both of the people i over heard her speaking to didn't seem to know anything about her parcel!

I don't know whether the courier or a neighbour is fibbing?

Did some one accept her parcel and having tampered with it is too afraid to own up they took it?

And I hope the neighbours who are new and don't know me don't think I Am lying, goodness!

Her couriers owe me an apology and I'm never accepting any more packages of hers.

Don't know what to do if she mentions it again, she made me feel uncomfortable.

Edited by Aspiring MSC

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jake CE

• Administrative Account

• Soap

• Aspiring MSC

Top Posters In This Topic

That is an awkward situation.

I can only suggest you advise your neighbour call up the courier company and asking that they investigate the incident their end, if they refuse or are unhelpful, make a complaint and deal with it through those channels. You are not at fault here and your neighbour will need to fight this.

He/ she can also contact the company which they bought the parcel from and advise them that it hasn't been delivered. They may be able to send a new delivery out.

When did this turn in to the neighbourhood missing parcel advice forum?

Just tell her that you don't have it? There's nothing else you can do. If you want to be a Police Officer you're going to have to toughen up a bit. You'll have people being a lot meaner to you than accusing you of having their parcel.

This is not the first I have heard of courier companies saying that a parcel has been signed for and it not being signed. Quite recently a parcel was thrown over our garden gate, breaking the contents. It was signed for in my dads name; fraudulently.

I can only advise that your neighbour call the courier company and speak with someone who isn't a script monkey on the phone - your average first line customer services team are unlikely to be able to resolve an issue like this...

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Or perhaps it was delivered to the wrong building? Do you live in a road with several blocks of flats? If she is No. 8 and you're No.9 then perhaps it was delivered to Flat 9 c/o Flat 8 in another building?

Worth checking with the neighbours, or just waiting to see if one of them brings it over. I used to live in a flat in an estate with loads of of other blocks and would often receive post addressed to the right number flat but in another block (often with a wildly different name).

Or perhaps it was delivered to the wrong building? Do you live in a road with several blocks of flats? If she is No. 8 and you're No.9 then perhaps it was delivered to Flat 9 c/o Flat 8 in another building?

Worth checking with the neighbours, or just waiting to see if one of them brings it over. I used to live in a flat in an estate with loads of of other blocks and would often receive post addressed to the right number flat but in another block (often with a wildly different name).

I live in a block of flats joint onto another block, but each block has two different post codes :p

When did this turn in to the neighbourhood missing parcel advice forum?

Just tell her that you don't have it? There's nothing else you can do. If you want to be a Police Officer you're going to have to toughen up a bit. You'll have people being a lot meaner to you than accusing you of having their parcel.

Bit sharp there Futures I can understand Aspiring-MSC being worried
  • Like 4

This is not the first I have heard of courier companies saying that a parcel has been signed for and it not being signed. Quite recently a parcel was thrown over our garden gate, breaking the contents. It was signed for in my dads name; fraudulently.

I can only advise that your neighbour call the courier company and speak with someone who isn't a script monkey on the phone - your average first line customer services team are unlikely to be able to resolve an issue like this...

I had exactly the same, i contacted the company who sent me the item, they sent me a new item the next day, and chased it up with the courier company to sort, as the contract for the delivery is between them and the courier.

It isn't your problem OP, there isn't any need for you to get involved if the parcel was not delivered to your flat and it was not signed for by yourself of anyone else who may have access to your flat.

• Like 1

Stop accepting parcels if you feel that you're honesty is being undermined.

Legally your neighbour needs to contact the person who shipped the parcel as they (not the recipient) who have the contract with the courier company. Telephoning the courier directly in my experience is not at all helpful.

• Like 2

Thanks,

Yes, there are three similar buildings in our complex and even the posties get them confused so that's a possibility.

She should ring up her courier company and let them chase it up I just don't like being dragged into it, it's makes you feel horrible.

Arrest on suspicion of theft then carry out a section 32 search of the property for the missing item..

This isn't a scenario mate.