Rospa or IAM

PCW

Hi all,

I am looking to further my driving skills and was wondering if anyone had done either IAM or Rospa,

or if which one you'd recommend, or if anyone can point out an alternative it would be much appreciated.

PCW

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrative Account

• IrateShrike

• PCW

• Deek

Pro's and Con's with both.

It was quite a few years since I was involved with either group, but from what I remember IAM was the 'stronger' organisation, but their assessment was pass or fail and lasted a life time. RoSPA is lesser known, their assessments are graded Bronze, Silver and Gold and are valid for 3 years before requiring reassessment.

As for content of the course they are very much the same - all to Roadcraft standards and really are beneficial.

• Like 1

I did the IAM test and passed, although I think I was more than half the age of most members.The actual testers are excellent. I went to a few meetings but don't participate in my local group as it turned out more to be an arguing session. One there was a presentation from the local SCP about speeding, which turned into have-a-go about getting stuck on, and another session about 'middle lane hogs#, where half said they saw no problem in it and half did. Theyre was a clash!

My membership is still valid, but not to the local group. Guess it depends where you go. Good luck.

Don't know how accurate it is, but my impression was always that RoSPA tested to a higher standard.... As I say, no idea if that's true or not!

It's easy to lose your skills though, so the idea of regular testing seems sensible. I've certainly lost a some of my driving skill being in a role where I'm not driving every day!

Don't know how accurate it is, but my impression was always that RoSPA tested to a higher standard.... As I say, no idea if that's true or not!

That's what I've heard too, it might just be snobbery but everyone I've known who passed the RoSPA test tend to look down on the IAM.

My own experience with the IAM was poor - I called them to check how to get an exemption membership with my standard police qualification and they were next to useless, no one knew where I should send the certificate copy etc so in the end I just gave up, despite the fact I was willing to give them money they didn't seem to care.

Edited by adslegend

you have a response ticket ASDL? ie nipa course?

Sorry SBG, what's a nipa course? Yes I have a response ticket, though I don't use it much in my current SNT role.

Right so you should be able to join IAM with the exemption

NIPA set a course standard for all police courses

Right so you should be able to join IAM with the exemption

NIPA set a course standard for all police courses

I knew there was a national standard I just didn't know what NIPA stood for :D

http://www.iam.org.uk/about/membership/exemptions

If you click Join Today, it will take you through and you can choose your exemption

Do they make you prove your qualification? Just curious, because it'd be difficult to administer I imagine - I could easily knock up all my driving school certificates in MS Word in about 2 minutes :lol:

Do they make you prove your qualification? Just curious, because it'd be difficult to administer I imagine - I could easily knock up all my driving school certificates in MS Word in about 2 minutes :lol:

Um - I had to send copies of my certificate and my met driving permit