Security Guard Question.

matt6950

Hello.

I will start of by saying I am incredibly sorry if this is way of topic for this site, but I am going to be starting work soon as a S.I.A Security Guard.

My question is what equipment is a Security Guard legally allowed to carry? Including Personal Protective Equipment, I don't want to be carrying anything that could get me into trouble. The reason I thought I would ask here is most people on this forum are Police Officers or have a good understanding of the Law.

Reason I have not asked my manager is I have not yet officially started and I would like to get the equipment ordered and ready for when I do start work.

If it helps just in case the Law is different in different areas I live in Kent.

Many thanks

Matthew.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matt6950

• I99

• Forlorn Hope

• Sceptre

Just a quick flick through Google and I couldn't find anything that you could legally carry, doesn't mean I'm right though!

Wow such a fast reply,

The company is Total Security Services, as far as I can see most of the Clients are retail, apart from these "Embassy of Japan" "Ladbrokes" which I believe is a betting shop, but most of the Clint's are places like Tesco, Boots.

So being Retail I'm not looking to carry any form of weapons, but what about restricting customers or when you make arrests, are Security Guards allowed to carry Handcuffs?

Edited by matt6950

In all honesty you probably wont need to carry anything. What sort of thing did you have in mind?

you can't carry a baton of any sort

Torch and stab vest- maybe cuffs if your firm allows it

Being Retail I'm not looking to carry anything heavy duty, but what I would be looking to carry, are things like, tactical torch, and possibly handcuffs for arrests if we are allowed to?

Legally you could carry cuffs- but you're most likely on your own if you use them

if you must carry cuffs get yourself training and insurance- even if you have to pay out of your own pocket for it

Being Retail I'm not looking to carry anything heavy duty, but what I would be looking to carry, are things like, tactical torch, and possibly handcuffs for arrests if we are allowed to?

I used to work in retail and our guards would carry a torch and that was it. I'd go very very careful if you're going to carry cuffs. Technically you can but I imagine it'll raise some eyebrows and you could cause some pretty nasty injuries to someone if you don't know how to apply them properly.

I'd stick to the torch and maybe a stab vest depending on your area. Stabbie will be expensive though..

When you say insurance what kind of insurance?

My area is not bad Folkestone, it's just if I get any night-shift work and if I'm on my own, I want the stuff for last resort, I mean the chances of using them are next time none- but when you might need to use them and you heaven't got them.. The S.I.A handcuff course is something I will look into, as I would not want to course anyone harm.

Cheaper then a coffin ;)

I'm approaching my 7th year of working in supermarkets and I've yet to encounter a security guard being stabbed. One impaled his leg on a fence but that was his own fault.

The point I'm making is that I'd see if your employer will provide it for you. That's a huge amount of money to pay.

Shouldnt there be a disclaimer around here somewhere?

If you're likely to be stabbed or assaulted, consider a stab vest. If not, then don't bother as they're hot, heavy and uncomfortable and expensive to purchase if you're not being supplied with one by the company.

Likewise a 'tactical' torch. A small led thing will do for 99% of the time, but if you're not working in the dark, don't bother. If you're thinking a 6D Maglite or similar - be careful. Look up Section 1 of the Prevention of Crime Act with regards to 'Intended weapons'.

I'm approaching my 7th year of working in supermarkets and I've yet to encounter a security guard being stabbed. One impaled his leg on a fence but that was his own fault.

The point I'm making is that I'd see if your employer will provide it for you. That's a huge amount of money to pay.

maybe it's where I am but I know of several occurrences of security being attacked with articles(screwdrivers, knifes, needles) I do agree that under the laws surrounding PPE then they should provide but most security firms do things on a hope it doesn't happen basis

you can get a decent 2nd hand vest (ideally you should have a new custom measured vest) for £90

Edited by The Inspector