PC issues

Merlin820

Looking for any advice at all on what the problem could be, been at it most of the day and pulling my hair out. I have a MacBook but use the PC for my Lightroom editing. Help! :new_sorry:

PC turns on, comes up with registry page asking which mode to start in. I've started in safe mode, run a scan and gone back to usual mode after switching off. In usual mode, it comes up with user accounts, try to log into a user account, nothing. If I'm lucky enough to get into one, nothing works - no internet, no programmes, nothing, programmes will begin to start then switch to 'Not responding'.

I actually detest Windows but the PC is not yet 2 years old. Virus scan in safe mode did not turn anything up but then it cannot scan all files. This sounds like a processor issue to me or may require the battery taking out of the motherboard if it has one?

Any ideas before we bite the bullet and take it in? I'm familiar a little with BIOS but not happy reverting to original settings if need be. Will this affect any software that's on the PC (like my Lightroom?!?!)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Merlin820

• Deleted

• Bravo Sierra

Something very similar happened to me about 12 months ago. That turned out to be a complete hard drive failure. Take it in unless any of our resident IT gurus have a better idea :)

Looking for any advice at all on what the problem could be, been at it most of the day and pulling my hair out. I have a MacBook but use the PC for my Lightroom editing. Help! :new_sorry:

PC turns on, comes up with registry page asking which mode to start in. I've started in safe mode, run a scan and gone back to usual mode after switching off. In usual mode, it comes up with user accounts, try to log into a user account, nothing. If I'm lucky enough to get into one, nothing works - no internet, no programmes, nothing, programmes will begin to start then switch to 'Not responding'.

I actually detest Windows but the PC is not yet 2 years old. Virus scan in safe mode did not turn anything up but then it cannot scan all files. This sounds like a processor issue to me or may require the battery taking out of the motherboard if it has one?

Any ideas before we bite the bullet and take it in? I'm familiar a little with BIOS but not happy reverting to original settings if need be. Will this affect any software that's on the PC (like my Lightroom?!?!)

Hi Merlin,

This kind of thing is nothing to do with the processor or the BIOS so don't worry about having to fiddle in there (taking the battery out of the motherboard just resets the BIOS so don't do that). When you say you've booted up in safe mode and "run a scan", what scan are you referring to? Antivirus or disk check? If you've not run a disk check, I'd recommend doing that. If, after logging on normally, you wait and wait and wait, does anything begin to work then? If you go to task manager and look at memory and processor usage, what task/service is taking up the most resources? Can you close that task/service down?

Have you installed anything recently? As the computer is a couple of years old, I'm assuming you're running Windows 7? You could try, from safe mode, using system restore to revert back to a previous restore point (System Control Panel then the System Protection tab).

Lots of questions but it's really difficult to know what's going on from a forum post. If you can give me some answers I may be able to help narrow down what the problem is.

Just in case I can't reply tonight, and speed is of the essence, try downloading Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4W). On there is an antivirus application and disk checking tools - give those a bash and see what happens (make sure you target them towards your computer's HDD though!).

Good luck!

Edited by Gene Geney

We use AVG. I couldn't manage to run the scan in usual mode but managed to do so in safe mode. I can't get into task manager, I can't get into anything. It either doesn't respond at all or manages to begin to open then becomes non responsive and takes forever to shut down. It's extremely painful.

Nothing has been loaded onto it. My husband is the only other who uses it and that's minimal. As I said I use it for editing photos purely because it's on a desk and is comfortable to sit at for any length of time. All my photos are on an external drive so there's no issue there. It was working perfectly yesterday and today just threw a wobbler. It is Windows 7, yes.

I'll try the system restore tomorrow. If I do it tonight I'm liable to lose it. :new_crazy:

I'll let you know how it goes. I hate computers.

• Global Moderators

Just wondering if you can get into Safe Mode with networking does the internet work then? May be worth pressing 'Last known good configuration that worked' on the F8 menu too!

In days gone by I'd suggest booting into Safe Mode with Networking and running a free utility called ComboFix but I'd hazard a bet it's no longer supported!

Just wondering if you can get into Safe Mode with networking does the internet work then? May be worth pressing 'Last known good configuration that worked' on the F8 menu too!

In days gone by I'd suggest booting into Safe Mode with Networking and running a free utility called ComboFix but I'd hazard a bet it's no longer supported!

Last Known Good Configuration is to do with hardware changes so that won't do a thing I'm afraid :p

Tried a restore but no joy I'm afraid! Having to call someone to look at it, we've used him before and he's reasonable so hopefully it's nothing too serious. Just what we need 7 weeks before Christmas!

Tried a restore but no joy I'm afraid! Having to call someone to look at it, we've used him before and he's reasonable so hopefully it's nothing too serious. Just what we need 7 weeks before Christmas!

Good luck - sorry I couldn't be any more help through the forum.

• Like 1

Good luck - sorry I couldn't be any more help through the forum.

No worries, it was worth a try so thank you.

System restore, did you just restore to an earlier point? Recomend backing anything you can that you want to keep and do a full system restore either using the disks supplied or the built in recovery option. That will restore it back to a state that it left the factory, if this doesnt cure the issues (which 9/10 times it will).

If it was the HDD it would fail to boot windows, processor, you'd probably get some kind of beeps to warn you.

Can I backup from safe mode?

The only thing on there I need is Lightroom. I assume I cannot reload from the original disc if it's a one time use only?

Can I backup from safe mode?

The only thing on there I need is Lightroom. I assume I cannot reload from the original disc if it's a one time use only?

Yes, you can backup from safe mode. Lightroom shouldn't be a one time use piece of software so a reinstall from the disc should work fine (do you have the disc?). Really all you can backup is your personal files, all software would need to be reinstalled afresh. Your system restore discs will reinstall all software that was there when you purchased the computer. Anything additional, such as Lightroom I guess, will need you to install from disc/the internet.

Factory restore worked! I also managed to Lightroom.

Seems to be working fine thankfully. Thanks for all the advice.

• Like 1

Did you need to reinstall Lightroom from the disc?

If so you might want to contact Adobe and get the marker removed from the serial number for the trashed install. Most of the Adobe software seems to have a licence to install on two machines, home and work or work and laptop, but when you install and register it adds a token to the serial number on their servers. When you uninstall it normally removes this token but it can't do this on a crashed drive.