Network storage and back up

sparkydale

Can a more techy person please explain this to me (or offer a better solution).

I need to buy a new laptop, mainly for photo and video editing, but also itunes etc.

Most laptops will max out at 500gb hard drive, but I can easily fill that (as I currently have on this one inc, having an itunes library around 120gb)

So, I'd like to move some of this onto networked storage. But then I also need a back up. Is there a 1 box solution to this (small and easily hidden away). Can I get a 2 disk NAS box thing and use 1 disk as storage and the other to back up the stuff on that's on the laptop and also the disk 1 stuff?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrative Account

You can get small NAS appliances, but if they have 2 drives they are normally 'mirrored' so that in the event if a disk failure you don't lose you data.

You could just get a larger HDD for your laptop. My current laptop had a 320GB HDD when I bought it, got a 1TB HDD for it for £65. Much cheaper!

• Like 1

Thats what I thought, but can you "split" the 2nd hard drive so that it's not all network storage and not all back up? Any recommended brands/models?

I could upgrade the hard drive, but if I'm going to spend £60 on a new hard drive and similar on a hard drive to back up, is it worth spending a little more to have an automated system that will do everything.

You could probably create a different mount point, possibly with a quota so restricting backup to say 500GB...

Am on my mobile at the moment, but I was looking at QNap I think a while ago when I was looking at NAS options.

Have a read of this -

http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/pc-peripheral/3217608/group-test-whats-best-nas-device/

• Like 1

Synology or Thecus are the two NAS manufacturers that make the best kit. I would just stick a 2TB driver in they laptop though or if you have USB3 go external.

• Like 2

I use external hard drives for my mac (though they're usb, not fancy network ones). Got one for all my itunes data, a second to hold all my photography stuff (over 30,000 photos) and then a third which backs up the first two on a regular basis.

I know this isn't really an option for a laptop as they're wired in all the time, but can't you do something similar with network ones? (I don't really know that much about it all if I'm honest, I'm just thinking out loud :p )

The other option you could look into is running FreeNAS on some hardware -

http://www.freenas.org/about/features.html

I am not a fan of the real 'budget' NAS servers, they just dont have decent throughput when you are wanting to backup/restore from them, but make sure your network is up to scratch before you do to much with the NAS, from memory USB 2.0 is about 20MB/s which is about 160Mbps.

I built a file server and it lives in the cupboard under the stairs. Much more expandable than any NAS currently on the market. 18Tb of storage at the moment (Yes Ian, I know yours (if you have one) is probably bigger :w00t: )

• Like 1

I built a file server and it lives in the cupboard under the stairs. Much more expandable than any NAS currently on the market. 18Tb of storage at the moment (Yes Ian, I know yours (if you have one) is probably bigger :w00t: )

Bet that cost a bomb!

Bet that cost a bomb!

Not really...that expensive, most of the cost would be hard disks, so the cost would change varying on the size/type of disks that you use.

The software to run it all (FreeNas for example) is free.

I have 'enough' capacity ;)

Synology or Thecus are the two NAS manufacturers that make the best kit. I would just stick a 2TB driver in they laptop though or if you have USB3 go external.

I definitively recommend Synology, always had very good experiences with their NAS systems. Only time I selected different one (Pegasus 12 TB Thunderbolt for my iMac) failed in first month of life.

Bet that cost a bomb!

Surprisingly, very little in real terms.

I already had most of the components, and the hard drives have just built up over time as I've needed more space. Internally it has 4 x 2Tb drives, and externally it currently has 2 x 2Tb + 2 x 3Tb drives.

Running an old Windows XP licence.

Tempted to upgrade all the drives (apart from C:) to 3Tb though if I can get Ian to do me a deal ;).

Edited by Damsel

3TB disks, pfft! ;) i have a few of them in the garage :D 4TB is where it is at now, with more to come ;)