German shepherds

Joker1546081795

So I am quite fond of dogs. Never owned one so this would be the first time, favourite dog - german shep. Anyone here have experience of raising them from a puppy? I wouldn't be looking to buy one older than 2 months old, so experience in this department would help.

Ta,

Joker

Edited by Joker

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joker1546081795

• Scot

• gsdk9

• Stamford

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand (as a non-dog owner) that if you want a German Shepherd then you had better lead an active lifestyle as they need lots of exercise.

Yeah I do anyway, football almost every few days, spacious garden here for the dog and walking the dog in the rain would be my favourite!

Not just a lot of exercise, they need a lot of training - highly intelligent and sometimes highly strung dog, so if they don't have that mental enrichment they can act up. They are however extremely good companions and if trained correctly can be great dogs.

• Like 1

GSD are fantastic dogs, how ever you need to evaluate your life

How many people live with you and would be considered your "pack", whos going to be the Alpha, meaning are you planning on having others help you raise it. Beyond physical exercise, what kind of mental exercise can you provide. are you willing to spend time teaching the dog new things in fun and exciting ways.

Dogs are to me, our greatest achievement. we need to understand the fact that they inhabit a small part of a few years of our lives, but we are their everything till death.

• Like 3

Do your research before you get one, they do vary by bloodline. Claus is out of working lines and would be considered hyper-active by house pet standards. Other families are more laid back.

Yes, as Americop points out they are very special companions and can be that for many years. Taking the time to train and look after one both physically and mentally wouldn't be an issue. I have looked into it and I feel strong about the idea.

Go for it then!

Just a wee extra - German Shepherds are prone to Hip Dysplasia. Get a record of their blood line and their hip ratings. Maybe GSDK9 as a dog handler can be more suitable to advise :whistle:

• Like 1

I've had GSDs since the 1990s, and my parents had them before that. They are extremely attached to you as the owner and will guard you with their lives, but that does mean you HAVE to be the 'one in charge'. A dominant GSD could easily run you, your life and your neighbours lives if you let it. ;) I wouldn't say they need excessive exercise, I run mine for about an hour a day on average in two half hour stints. Mostly either me or my husband is at home so they don't get left much - I have had a girl who was super destructive when left at home, she had a real separation anxiety (chewed my door posts off practically), so you have to think about that possibility - some GSDs are more settled than others, they're all different! It's not fair to have a dog and work 8 hours a day all week either IMHO, they are a dog that wants to be with you and likes company. They can get very lonely and so clingy. Finally I hope you don't have an immaculate house/garden. With a GSD that wouldn't last long, LOL.

Nice info, thanks tonigsc. I love the clingy and attatched bit, that impresses me. I'll keep on top of the clean house, and probably have a bottle of rum ready for when I get home and see the mess. ;)

I've got a shepherd, she is my third one the other 2 were males. I really wouldn't have another breed. My one is a rescue and I got her when she was 5, she is strong willed but took very well to the training and is a superb dog in every aspect.

Shepherds are so loyal and will greet you as enthusiastically if you're away for 2 minutes or 2 hours. The males - one was a rescue the other was a pup (8 weeks), both did well with training, the pup ended up being a huge dog (taller than me on his hind legs although that's not too difficult :-/)

Once you have a shepherd though you expect the same level of intelligence with other dogs, GSD's are very clever, my girl worked out how to open the stair gate within 3 hours of it being put up.

I believe I'm correct in saying, as someone also interested in getting a GSD, that to minimise hip dysplasia risk go for a working line dog, as opposed to a GSD bred for show.

• Like 1

I've got a shepherd, she is my third one the other 2 were males. I really wouldn't have another breed. My one is a rescue and I got her when she was 5, she is strong willed but took very well to the training and is a superb dog in every aspect.

Shepherds are so loyal and will greet you as enthusiastically if you're away for 2 minutes or 2 hours. The males - one was a rescue the other was a pup (8 weeks), both did well with training, the pup ended up being a huge dog (taller than me on his hind legs although that's not too difficult :-/)

Once you have a shepherd though you expect the same level of intelligence with other dogs, GSD's are very clever, my girl worked out how to open the stair gate within 3 hours of it being put up.

Haha that is pretty awesome to hear, and strives me forward into getting one.

Haha that is pretty awesome to hear, and strives me forward into getting one.

Life will never be the same once there's a GSD bounding around! It's brilliant and I hope you find the perfect one for you, although knowing shepherds, he or she will pick you and you won't even realise.

I believe I'm correct in saying, as someone also interested in getting a GSD, that to minimise hip dysplasia risk go for a working line dog, as opposed to a GSD bred for show.

I'm not sure but possibly is correct, my rescue dogs from what I could find out came from working lines and so did the pup, They've had no problems. Mine is 11 now and she is still very active with no hip problems.