CRB

Administrative Account

I guess we are all familiar with the CRB. Myself, I work specifically with young people and thereby need and have an enhanced CRB which anyone who does, has to have.

But how does this affect those who, as part of their job/living, have children as part of it but don't actually work with them? For instance, running a miniature railway or working at a theme park where there is a high percentage of young people/children? Or being a street entertainer where you might pick children to help in the show? That sort of thing.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that you would still need a CRB but as a volunteer you wouldn't have to pay for it. Or something like that!

Edit: Thinking about it - I don't think you would need a CRB. I'm sure it would only be if you deal with them in a professional capacity and / or have unsupervised access to children. Otherwise every shop worker would need one.

I am not aware of any laws that specifies that someone should have a CRB check? However, it is sometimes a requirement for registration for some professions to have one.

It was only about 3 - 4 years ago that dentists were required to undertake the process, for example. And I recently saw something in the news about a new requirement for black cab drivers to have one and some drivers couldn't work due to delays in them coming through.

I don't believe there is any requirement for someone who works in theme parks etc to have one?

Is it still the case that new recruits to the police do not need one? It is a bit of a loophole, as a CRB check may pick up things that SC / CTC security vetting would not.

Edited by DGP

I recently started volunteer work in a hospice and they paid for my DBS check. Makes me wonder now about people who dress as characters at theme parks etc.

Yeah I wonder about working in theme parks. It's cool that your voluntary placement paid for your DBS also.

Yeah I wonder about working in theme parks. It's cool that your voluntary placement paid for your DBS also.

Yes, I thought I'd have to pay for it. I remember when my son was three we took him to see Noddy and friends and he had his photo taken with them, sat on their laps or hugging them. It was ages after when we looked at the photos he made a comment about one of the characters that made us cringe. Suppose it's like when I was little I was plonked on every Santa's knee in various shops.

Can you still apply for your own? say someone is self employed but needs one for the role how do they go about getting one?

at my karate place the people who teach the kids need CRBs also the higher up belts who dont teach kids but could possibly lend them a hand need crbs also

Yes, I thought I'd have to pay for it. I remember when my son was three we took him to see Noddy and friends and he had his photo taken with them, sat on their laps or hugging them. It was ages after when we looked at the photos he made a comment about one of the characters that made us cringe. Suppose it's like when I was little I was plonked on every Santa's knee in various shops.

Ha yes, scenarios like that make me wonder if any of those people had to have a CRB when they were appointed.