Holiday to France

Jake CE

Hi all

Bit of advice/ recommendations please.

I, along with 4-5 other friends are planning to go to France next year, we'd ideally like to remain north of France near where the Eurotunnel departs/ arrives. Can anyone recommend anywhere (camping or hotels).

Cheers, Jake.

The nicest spots won't be right by Calais. How far from there are you willing to stray and for how long?

The nicest spots won't be right by Calais. How far from there are you willing to stray and for how long?

An hours drive. We'll probably be going for 7-10 days.

If you want a day trip Rouen is a very pleasant town just a couple of hours from Calais.

I would encourage you to explore ferries to Le Havre potentially as there are more pleasant holidaying destinations within your time range from there than from Calais. (also the ferry is often a far cheaper alternative)

If you want a day trip Rouen is a very pleasant town just a couple of hours from Calais.

I did a week's work experience in Rouen a few years ago - it's a very lovely place! Not much there though, so as matador said it's good for a day trip.

I was pleasantly surprised by the town of Boulogne, great restaurants , history and attractions, there are beach resorts such as Le Touquet in the area, but I agree avoid the Calais district although Calais itself is a nice town .France is very well set up for camping ,most towns having at least a seasonal site .We used to look for municipal sites or ones that had been municipal sites in the past. They tend to be cheap ,near to facilities like swimming pools , tennis courts etc and you often get reduced admission prices, the package working out a lot cheaper than private sites for little difference in quality.

Have you considered nipping over the border into Belgium? The town of Ypres and the likes are very picturesque.

I would also second Rouen, it's a nice place and it's quick to get out to the country side too. If you want something a bit more rural you could try Lyons-la-Foret, it's a little village that's still quite well connected between the bigger towns. It's also just over an hours drive away to Paris if you wanted a day trip, although I would recommend getting the train if you value your car!

Have you considered nipping over the border into Belgium? The town of Ypres and the likes are very picturesque.

I would also second Rouen, it's a nice place and it's quick to get out to the country side too. If you want something a bit more rural you could try Lyons-la-Foret, it's a little village that's still quite well connected between the bigger towns. It's also just over an hours drive away to Paris if you wanted a day trip, although I would recommend getting the train if you value your car!

Ypres is beautiful. What a beautiful place.