Car tyres

StarScream

Right I wonder if anyone knows of anyone who offers discount eat. As I need a tyre yet don't have a spare £200 to spare.

Based in Bristol area.

Thanks all

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StarScream

• operationfirestorm

• One

• Administrative Account

I don't know what 'discount eat' means but for tyres I go to Harkness Tyres in Chipping Sodbury who do tyres at reasonable prices.

I got 4 new ones on ebay a few years ago for £100 and that included fitting. You can pick up part worns for around 10-25£ from most local indepented tyer garages.

Edited by One

I don't know what 'discount eat' means but for tyres I go to Harkness Tyres in Chipping Sodbury who do tyres at reasonable prices.

I had the same problem 'discount eat' confused the hell out of me. I need to sleep :new_doh2:

I got 4 new ones on ebay a few years ago for £100 and that included fitting. You can pick up part worns for around 10-25£ from most local indepented tyer garages.

bloody hell, dont buy part worns!!!:unsure:
  • Like 1

Haha stupid iPhone

Was Ment to say "rate"

I hate iphones! no prob it just threw me. :new_doh2:

Any one know the safety requirements on repairing tyres? If there is more than 1 nail in the tyre is that ok?

Would much rather pay the £25-50 repair cost than the £200 tyre fee :(

It depends where the damage is, if it can be repaired.

Go and speak to a tyre fitter and ask their advice, as they will know better than anyone on here.

Sorry to pick on your post One, but there's a couple of things people should take into account concerning part worns.

Though perfectly legal to sell, most people buying them will never know the history of the tyre. It may well have come off a car that has been in an accident for starters. Also, it might actually be quite old. A work colleague of mine was showing me his car the other day and going on about how he only ever buys part worn tyres. I'm a nosey beggar, so I started to have a look around each corner of the car. His latest aquisition caught my eye straight away. Front nearside tyre, he'd just bought, part worn - I looked at the date of manufacture, 5 years ago (yes, there is a manufacturing date code on each and every tyre), sidewall has hairline cracks around the entire circumference. My view, not printable! Cost him £25, plus another £8 for fitting and balancing. He'd have been better off paying an extra 20 quid and buying the cheapest new tyre he could lay his hands on. Concerning repair, if you have a puncture on the outside shoulder of a tyre, tyre fitters will not repair them. Happened to my Wife's car a couple of weeks ago. Took the tyre to two local fitters who refused to repair it because of where the nail was. Ended up buying a cheap brand new one.

For those that think I'm talking rubbish about aged tyres, please have a look at the video in this link:

bloody hell, dont buy part worns!!! :unsure:

I've never had a problem with them. I've always got them from a reptuble tyer place. My gf bought a new tyer a few months ago from a differnt place. She went around a corner the other day and the tyer split in half. thankfully it didn't happen when she was traveling at speed as it would of caused an accident.

note: I don't buy part worns all the time. only get them when i've had a really bad puncher or i've bought a second hand car and the spare has been bald.

Edited by One

I've never had a problem with them..........

note: I don't buy part worns all the time. only get them when i've had a really bad puncher or i've bought a second hand car and the spare has been bald.

You've never had a problem with one yet.......which is absolutely fine, until the day you do and someone else is having to pick up the pieces.

Look, I know there are many people who are on a budget these days, but seeing as four patches of rubber the size of the average hand palm is all that is keeping you in contact with the road, then don't you think safety outweighs saving a few quid?

Each to their own though. Personally, I think the whole law on selling part worn tyres should be tightened up i.e. part worn tyres should only be sold if they are within a certain manufacturing date, have more than 4mm of tread and proof that the previous vehicle had never been involved in an accident.

I've never had a problem with them. I've always got them from a reptuble tyer place. My gf bought a new tyer a few months ago from a differnt place. She went around a corner the other day and the tyer split in half. thankfully it didn't happen when she was traveling at speed as it would of caused an accident.

There are undoubtably some 'good value' part worns available, but 9 out 10 will be dangerous (as your girlfriend experienced) and/or not cost effective. I personally would never do it myself!

You hear stuff like "4mm of original 8mm tread left, only half worn!" and suckers believe it but forget that it's illegal at 1.6mm (and water evacuation dramatically reduces after 3mm), plus they wear quicker the lower the tread anyway.

It's strange that of all the things you shouldn't skimp on in a car, it's tyres yet a lot of people are happy to put ditchfinders on. You can spend a lot of money on decent suspension and braking systems but the bottleneck must be the tyres, it's simple physics.

Edited by adslegend