"L" Plates with a 125cc CBT Licence Motorbike

Jake CE

Hi all

I have bought the following 125cc motorbike (as pictured) and have passed my CBT which means I have to display a front and rear "L" plate until I have passed the bike test.

$T2eC16h,!)8E9s4l90J7BSBRsnzcn!~~48_79.J

Now as far as I am aware, the law states that the "L" plate must be 7 inches by 7 inches so my question, how do I attach it to the front of this bike? I have bought a self adhesive one to stick onto the wheel guard but I don't think the plate will be 7x7 as some edges may have to fold down the sides. Am I right in thinking that is incorrect and therefore illegal?

(I am aware of the forums disclaimer and will not blame anyone if I follow advice given).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jake CE

• Administrative Account

• GoneForgotten

• SkinSte

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

• Like 1

I ran a 125 for a year (long before I was an SC) I attached the L plate between the two forks at the front, although you do see loads and loads of them sticky L plates on the front mud guard (not sure if that is legal?).

Thankfully don't have to worry anymore since getting a full bike licence two and a bit years ago!

Sorry for blurred piccie. This is what i did, and the only "legal" way of doing it, so as not to alter the L plate at all and make it visible.

24207_1214664617348_5165310_n.jpg

Mount it on a piece of thin ply wood. Drill 2 holes through it. Use 2 tie wraps to wrap round front fork

Sorted!

... although you do see loads and loads of them sticky L plates on the front mud guard (not sure if that is legal?).

That is the bit that has me confused!

You've bought the wrong sort of plate. Get one with a fixing like this and fit it on the fork: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/l-plate-bracket

I like the look of that, will make a purchase I think. How does the plate stay firm?

Sorry for blurred piccie. This is what i did, and the only "legal" way of doing it, so as not to alter the L plate at all and make it visible.

24207_1214664617348_5165310_n.jpg

Mount it on a piece of thin ply wood. Drill 2 holes through it. Use 2 tie wraps to wrap round front fork

Sorted!

Cheers Potts, I wanted to avoid doing this if I could as I found it irritating during the CBT >.<

They do specific plates for motorbikes that can mount on the front forks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also stick a spare under the seat so if it does come off and you get stopped to can put it back and not get the £100 and 3 points fro driving other than in accordance with a licence!

So this would be illegal and I need to get some of those fork attachments?

DSC00741.jpg

A plastic plate, a stanley knife and two cable ties will do the job.

Posted Image

I don't see an L plate that complies with regs there ;)

That looks like a red L on a white background sticker...

DSC00741.jpg

Yes and your level of stuck-on-edness would be directly proportionate to the will of the officer who stopped you.

I don't see an L plate that complies with regs there ;)

That looks like a red L on a white background sticker...

Yes and your level of stuck-on-edness would be directly proportionate to the will of the officer who stopped you.

What I meant was, I have a 7x7 plate and was wondering if it could be attached like in that picture, if not I'll be buying the bracket things to be safe.

Bought these ones :)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231017145883

Thank you for your help people!

if it's that rigid plastic, then yes, I've seen that done many many times

It's usually done with a 'normal' plastic plate and two cable ties where normally twine or string would be used.

I like the look of that, will make a purchase I think. How does the plate stay firm?

It's a rigid plastic. Yes, they can be annoying, but then again you'll be legal.