Insurace on a MotorBike

Jake CE

Hi all

Yesterday I insured by first motorbike with a company, I have seen been emailed the policy documents as well as a request for me to send them my driving licence (both parts) and my CBT Certificate by recorded delivery.

I can understand why they would need the CBT Certificate, but why on earth do they need both parts of my driving licence? It seems silly that they require this when they can surely check with the relevant authorities that I indeed have a driving licence, and that most people use the card licence as I.D.

Can anyone shed any light?

Jake

Edited by David
Odd formatting removed

To confirm you hold the correct category for the insured vehicle. Probably cheaper and easier to get the docs off you than make thousands of requests via the DVLA every month. Mind you, i insured my SV650 without sending anything off, jsut after a passed my A1!

Ah thank you for your responses. I have asked if I can provide photocopies, I don't feel comfortable sending my originals.

Ah thank you for your responses. I have asked if I can provide photocopies, I don't feel comfortable sending my originals.

i think I've only ever sent off photocopies to insurance companies : only time I sent my full licence off to DVLA for an address change they returned it without the motorbike categories on it, luckily I had a photocopy so was able to complain and get motorbike entitlement put back on.

As above with Rosco. Depending on when you passed your test, holding onto the pass certificate is a must. For example, I passed in May of 2012 on a 125CC motorcycle. This entitled me to the then A2 category. This means that in May of 2014 I will be eligible for an automatic upgrade to a full A category licence. However, I would not put it past the DVLA to cause hell over it...

I've never been asked to send off any documentation to any insurer, car or motorcycle, except from sending back the old policy certificate.

I've never been asked to send off any documentation to any insurer, car or motorcycle, except from sending back the old policy certificate.

Depends on the insurance company. Some will cancel the policy if you don't send them a copy (or original), others don't even ask for them.

I have been riding bikes for a long time and I don't think I have ever sent them a copy of my licence, other than after an accident and that was a long time ago. I'm not sure I would be happy to send them the originals through the post though.

I can understand why they would need the CBT Certificate, but why on earth do they need both parts of my driving licence?

To also make sure you do not have any points or a ban!

That's why a driving instructor will and should always ask to see the paper part of your Provisional

I've always had to send both parts and I've been biking my whole life, but originals...no, don't send them, to the DVLA maybe but not some random company, if a photocopy is not good enough tell them they can do a 3way call to the dvla during which you can hear everything and give permission for DVLA to confirm your entitlement, I've done this with a lawyer on the phone during a claim once(had 4 motorcycle accidents so far).

In fact I've always emailed mine(so a scan)...

Any other queries feel free to ask I'm a bike nut :) (I can even supply new parts from 22 brands)

Edited by cheshire