• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Grade Snail

• Eggnog

• Londonbased

• DS Warner

Pretty sure the Military free travel thing was extended, so yes I believe they do.

And I don't think they're duty bound to intervene more than any other member of the public, but I would imagine they're probably more likely to.

It was extended so probably yes.

The kind of duty a squaddie or marine does , they wouldn't be doing it in London!! LOL.

They wouldn't have any requirement to intervene in any trouble but again most probably would. I wouldn't expose myself as a military man out there as much as I would Police , with all this post-Woolwich stuff

Speaking with a TFL member of staff I was told Armed Forces have to be uniform, however most TFL staff

Let them travel after seeing their warrant/Armed forces card.

Q1) Do military get free travel whilst in uniform in London ?

They were offered it during the Olympics http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/metro/25064.aspx

I've moved this to Help Me as it's not policing related. Your link says 'during the games', and specifies until 11 September, so unless something else has been brought in saying military get free travel, I'd guess the answer is probably no.

Q2) Are military folk duty bound to intervene ?

No. :)

Q2) Are military folk duty bound to intervene ?

I'd love to see a Gurkha intervene. Johnny criminal would need a new pair of underpants!!!

Yes folks the Military do get free travel on TfL Services and they MUST BE IN UNIFORM.

Flashing their Military ID cards whilst in plain clothes is a breach of the concession.

It was initially just for the duration of the Olympic Games but Boris Johnson announced at the Conservative Party Conference that he was bringing it back which he did a few months ago.

When poor Lee Rigby got murdered in Woolwich the MOD ordered the Military not to wear uniform and TfL were happy to allow them to travel in plain clothes but that idiot David Cameron overturned it so they must be in uniform again.

Uniform means FULL UNIFORM and includes wearing a beret or hat.

It also applies to TA and other reservists so commuters could save a bit of cash by wearing uniform to work.

And No, service personnel are not expected to intervene in situations.

The kind of duty a squaddie or marine does , they wouldn't be doing it in London!! LOL.

Not true, remember you've got MOD Whitehall, AFCO London, Woolwich Barracks, Buck Palace and all sorts that don't involve running around the bondhu

• Like 1

It also applies to TA and other reservists so commuters could save a bit of cash by wearing uniform to work.

By that I mean commuters who are actually members of the reserved armed forces on their way to their civvy jobs. I wasn't suggesting civilians should wear a uniform to bunk their fares.

Not true, remember you've got MOD Whitehall, AFCO London, Woolwich Barracks, Buck Palace and all sorts that don't involve running around the bondhu

But what do they do? Particularly that would be of any use?... compared with Police Officers.

• 2 months later...

What use is a Police Constable as opposed to a member of the military on a train?

Uniforms make people feel comfortable. Certain uniforms make people feel more at ease than others. Respect for the Police has dwindled in the last decade. I could go back further. Police action, and in some cases inaction, left a bad impression on the British Public. Especially, in London there is widespread distrust of the Met Police something that has been going on at least half a century.

On the other hand, Respect, or attitudes for the armed forces has changed. This is the kind of change that occurs after every major campaign. The Military is not something that should be hidden away.

Lastly, in these austere times the cost on the public purse for a service person to pay for travel then to claim back obviously cost money. This scheme saves on the administration burden. The Police (i.e) non BTP are of limited use often unaware of bylaws so can only deal with traditional offences. Offences that in any event should be dealt with by a Police Office on duty in uniform.

What use is a Police Constable as opposed to a member of the military on a train?

Uniforms make people feel comfortable. Certain uniforms make people feel more at ease than others. Respect for the Police has dwindled in the last decade. I could go back further. Police action, and in some cases inaction, left a bad impression on the British Public. Especially, in London there is widespread distrust of the Met Police something that has been going on at least half a century.

On the other hand, Respect, or attitudes for the armed forces has changed. This is the kind of change that occurs after every major campaign. The Military is not something that should be hidden away.

Lastly, in these austere times the cost on the public purse for a service person to pay for travel then to claim back obviously cost money. This scheme saves on the administration burden. The Police (i.e) non BTP are of limited use often unaware of bylaws so can only deal with traditional offences. Offences that in any event should be dealt with by a Police Office on duty in uniform.

Really?

Edited by Smiley Culture

I could go back further. Police action, and in some cases inaction, left a bad impression on the British Public. Especially, in London there is widespread distrust of the Met Police something that has been going on at least half a century.

Were these members of the public alseep during August/September 2011?

Edited by Pebblechimp

Were these members of the public alseep during August/September 2011?

Are you referring to the riots?

I think you forget why they began in the first place...

• Like 1

Are you referring to the riots?

I think you forget why they began in the first place...

greed and ignorance?

• Like 5