Losing fat

Dice

So yeah

Is there a good way of losing fat?

I do go to the gym often and eat relatively healthy.

Any advice?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParochialYokal

• ((TheShake))1546081325

• Dice

• Administrative Account

Hi Orion,

The best way to lose fat is in your diet. Eat the appropiate calories to maintain your current body weight, then reduce 20%. You should be losing a steady 2lbs a week, this is the safest way without the body eating away your muscle.

Simple to remember...

If you are not sweating while exercising, you are not burning fat

• Like 2

I went a fitness camp for 6 weeks in Thailand a few months ago and I am now 3 stone lighter :) I learnt a lot of lessons about different types of food and what I should avoid.

We get told a load of crap about fitness and weight loss by the industries that make us fat and then try to make us thin. Have you been watching 'The Men That Made Us Fat' on the BBC? Worth a look on iPlayer.

The whole 'calories in / calories burned' message about weight loss is quiet basic. You need to consider the type of food you eat and your metabolism.

I now eat a high protein diet and don't count calories anymore. I have very few carbs- bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc are all 'no, nos'. And I feel great. I pick at fruit and nuts all day, in addition to my meals.

I get my energy from fruit and vegetables and I eat all the time. My metabolic rate has never been so high. Making sure I have breakfast gives it a kick start.

As I don't have do many carbs, I no longer feel lethargic and have more energy.

Whilst I am vegetarian, my pattern of eating is similar to what some people call seem the 'caveman diet'.

I don't follow a diet. Rather, I have changed my lifestyle. I think that's the best approach to keeping weight and fat off.

If you intend to lose fat through exercise then high intensity stuff is now believed to be good. Circuit training or running is great.

Whilst this is not the type of Forum to suggest naughty pills or substances, Acetyl L Carnitine is a legal supplement where some research has found that it helps to prioritise fat burning when exercising.

I also measure my 'belly' using a tape measure horizontally around my belly. I think this is a better measure than measuring yur waist. It is a crude measure, but it does show results. I've lost 22cm, which I am please with.

I got my first pair of Tanita scales 10 years ago and I got another pair a couple of years ago the measure body fat. My newest pair has an SD card and it plots all metrics over time when you plug it into your computer. If you are serious about losing fat (not just weight) then investing in a decent pair of fat monitoring scales is well worth it.

These are the ones I have, but I remember paying that much for them!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tanita-BC601-Innerscan-Segmental-Composition/dp/B0037252RY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1376915209&sr=8-9&keywords=tanita+body+fat+scale

But there's cheaper, high quality monitors:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_76_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atanita+body+fat+scale%2Cp_76%3A419159031&keywords=tanita+body+fat+scale&ie=UTF8&qid=1376915205&rnid=419157031

A £20 pair from Argos aren't going to be that effective :(

Edited by DGP
  • Like 2

Cheers for that, that's quite decent info.

I'm about 85kgs (..not sure what that is in lbs?) and currently have quite a low metabolism. My typical eating revolves around a combination of chicken, beef steaks, veg, pasta, rice and potatoes so maybe cutting out some of the latter stuff might improve things. I'm not that inventive with food though so always find it hard to think about what meal I could eat. Just recently started kicking out all the soft drinks and other snacks, but doubt I could keep them out of my life? I do hear running is quite a good way of improving things but I've never really done it as a hobby.

Edited by Orion

Whilst I am vegetarian, my pattern of eating is similar to what some people call seem the 'caveman diet'.

I don't follow a diet. Rather, I have changed my lifestyle. I think that's the best approach to keeping weight and fat off.

If you intend to lose fat through exercise then high intensity stuff is now believed to be good. Circuit training or running is great.

Whilst this is not the type of Forum to suggest naughty pills or substances, Acetyl L Carnitine is a legal supplement where some research has found that it helps to prioritise fat burning when exercising.

I'm 'sort of' eating Paleo (the 'Caveman diet') - I say sort of because I simply can't resist some things that aren't compliant with the exact principles. I think you're right in that you need to look at nutrition as a bit of a lifestyle change, rather than a diet. When people talk about being on a diet they mean that they're eating in a certain way only until their weight goals are attained, at which point they're going to go back to normal and they're going to put the weight back on again!

I don't bother with having a million meals a day like some people suggest - it's too difficult with work.. Instead I have 3 normal meals - all of them contain a fairly decent sized portion of protein (a meat or fish) with a load of veg and salad. I don't worry massively about fats generally as almost all the fat I eat is from meat or fish, and I tend to only eat fairly lean meats (except for milk!)

CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) is also a good supplement for improving body composition (reducing body fat and increasing lean muscle).

You can go in to specific quantities of protein/carbs/fats etc and use your BMR to calculate what you need to take in to the gram, but it's hard work and I'm not sure it's really what your average non-elite athlete needs!

PS, drink loads of water - when you think you're hungry drink a glass of water than give it 10 or 15 mins to see if you're still hungry..

I think the best single thing is to not drink carbs - no sugar in drinks, no coke (including diet) etc...

Is there a way of speeding up your metabolism?

Eating breakfast will give it a kick start, so they say. Also green tea (in decent quantities - ie by extract rather than just a mug of it) is said to do good things.

PPS... Squats and other compound exercises....

Is there a way of speeding up your metabolism?

Keep active, that's a good way to speed up metabolism. Some people say spices, green tea extract etc. But it varies from person to person, depends on size, gender, age and all that. Muscle cells require more energy to maintain than fat cells, so the more muscle you gain the higher your metabolic rate. A bit cardio should sort that out and strength training for that matter. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

If you're going to venture in to weight loss tablets (aids) just be very careful. Avoid stackers if you possibly can as they can result in false positives on drugs tests. If it says it contains Ephedrine then leave it.

Yeah, the ECA stack is certainly one to avoid. Ephedrine is in the amphetamine family and is dangerous if abused. Nonetheless, it's a constituent part of Sudafed!

Edited by DGP

I only weigh around 10 stone, but I just can't shift the belly! I've started running again, but fitting in a 5k run is difficult, especially during the school holidays!

I went for my first run today.

Didn't get far but hopefully that will improve haha

Things that boost your metabolism normally do so by raising your heart rate, call me cynical but a sustained above average heart rate can't be good for you, prolonged use has been said to enlarge the heart muscle and raise BP.

At the moment I am doing giant sets for the next week then starting on "Insanity" work out. Not for the faint hearted, it's not far off the sessions we used to get when I went through Honington.

Great thing about the Paleo diet is you can still eat bacon :)