Pain from duty belt

I99

Does anybody else suffer from pain when they put on their duty-belt? Mine is stripped of everything that isn't essential and in this state I'd estimate it weighs about 1.5kg.

I don't use belt-keepers nor do I have it ridiculously tight; it sits smartly over my trouser belt. Now I've tried a tac-vest and that does help. However on the occasions where you have to wear a duty-belt how do you minimise the pain that it causes?

Mine doesn't seem to start hurting until a couple of hours of wearing it and movement doesn't affect it (walking, standing static, running). The pain isn't agonising but it is enough to give you a dull ache in the lower back and the occasional twinge.

Apart from reducing the number of appointments holstered what can I do to reduce the pain? I've tried nylon and leather belts and this makes no difference. :new_no:

Can you fire off a wee email to your occupational health who may approve a tac vest?

Can you fire off a wee email to your occupational health who may approve a tac vest?

I have one but sometimes it's unavoidable for me to wear a belt or I need to carry additional equipment that doesn't fit to a vest.

I sometimes have the same issue, especially on the hip area. I tightened my belt and it pretty much solved it. If you have the belt too loose it can sometimes create pain.

• Like 1

Look carefully at how you are placing your kit on the belt. I abhor tac vests with a passion and always wear a belt. A few years in and I started getting pain in my kidney areas as I work exclusively in a car and don't do foot patrol. I realised my first aid pouch and cuff case were digging in. I now carry everything to the side and front, leaving my lumber area clear. I have 4 belt keepers that help and are positioned either side of my belt buckle and then either side of my lumber region which keeps my back clear of kit. It's possible to do as I've only got a 32" waist so you shouldn't struggle for space.

• 7 months later...
I definitely have back pain. Had it before but don't think it helps lugging around a gun belt and playing musical police car chairs.

I picked up a pair of the duty belt suspenders and they've helped a ton. It displaces the weight really well once you set them up right and my back has been a lot better.

A lot of good stretching and work outs helps too I find.

• 2 weeks later...

thought about getting yourself and under armour yoke to take pressure off your hips and back?