Restore Help

GeneralGinger

Morning All

I am intending to restore my Packard Bell to factory settings via the recovery management programme, however;

I am wanting to keep two programmes, my Microsoft Office package and Norton 360.

Now I know I can re-download Norton 360 as the company has my purchase details so that shouldn't be a problem, unfortunately I did not have so much luck with Microsoft, as I had lost the product key through the years they passed me all over the world telling me I needed to speak to the person who I had just been on the phone to....long story short it looks like if I restore I will have to buy a new package again....Funny that isn't it, Microsoft? but if anyone knows how I will be able to keep it post restore I will pay you in ginger cookies.

I know a full restore = a total wipe clean but I was just wondering if there was another way around it....?

Ta

GG

I don't know if this will work on Windows, but on a Mac you can back up your computer, wipe it and then choose what to put back on, i.e. just the applications. You won't have to re register them either, maybe there is something like that for Windows?

As above, you are able to use software that recovers all your keys for different software for you.

It's really helpful.

If you are going down the line of restoring to factory settings, would it not be better to just format and start completely from fresh?

As PB, as with all manufacturers load the PC with so much pointless software.

That is the first thing I do with a PC that I haven't built.

I'm not having much luck with the product key software but what can you expect for free, the only version that can search for 2010, downloads a driver search of some sort.

I think I will just go ahead and restore and see what happens. If need be I will buy the 2013 version once the restore is done, though I don't really use it other than Microsoft Word.

Green, I am not familiar with formatting? How would one go about that and what would it do?

GG

If you aren't going to use the other software in the Office package maybe it's worth just getting a free word processor like OpenOffice? You can open and edit existing Word documents in it and OpenOffice documents can be opened in Word. Voila.

OpenOffice also has a presentation, and spreadsheet software as well in case you do need it. I don't think I need to explain about the whole opening thing again? ;)

Or use GoogleDrive. Their apps are decent for basic users

Or use GoogleDrive. Their apps are decent for basic users

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update folks I did go ahead and restore to factory settings.

Downloading Norton was not an issue as I still had all my details but I am with out Office - At the moment GoogleDoc Viewer is sufficing for now.

It is working better than ever now.

• Like 1

Ah, well next time you want to find the product key use; MagicJellyBean Key Finder. Will show all stored product keys in the registry.

For OFFICE, use open office - supports all Microsoft office suites, why anyone buys office now is beyond me specially with the new full screen design and new ribbon interface.

Hopefully this will help you out a little Ginger; http://www.openoffice.org/

Try it, and if you need any help reply on here!

Edited by Bravo Sierra