50cc Moped/Scooter Help

IKJB

I've just bought a 50cc Yahama Aerox Scooter. However, I found out that it's been derestricted. Do I have to get it re-restricted in order to be insured and legal to drive?

Our standard disclaimer: This forum is not intended as a legal advice drop-in centre. PoliceSpecials.com disclaims any and all responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, reliability, operability or availability of information or material on this site, including - but not limited to - the documents available in the 'Reference Library' and 'Downloads' areas.

Please note that comments and advice given here with the best of intentions by the host, moderators or other users of the forum may not be correct, and that any advice given, in particular advice on the law and its application, is no substitute for personal legal advice from a solicitor.

Depends what age you are / what licence you have?

Interestingly the new AM category lists mopeds as:

Moped

Two-wheel vehicles or three-wheel vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h and not more than 45km/h.

No mention of power output, but yes I agree with TJ yes it needs to be re-restricted. There's a chance it doesn't have things on it to make it a legal motorbike such as numberplate light etc.

I'm curious as why you have only found out that it is de-restricted after you purchased it and how you discovered this?

I'm curious as why you have only found out that it is de-restricted after you purchased it and how you discovered this?

Maybe when the OP realised that it went fast than a light jog?

With most peds it's either an obvious bit of cutting/welding on the exhaust or removing washers/spacers from the variator.

With most peds it's either an obvious bit of cutting/welding on the exhaust or removing washers/spacers from the variator.

Clearly unnecessarily complicated to derestrict a moped nowadays, is it only me that found a bamboo cane or anything else of a suitable diameter to fit into the tailpipe of my Yamaha Fizzy and then hammer it in to clear the baffles to hopefully make it go faster?

At the end of the day, after passing whatever licensing legislation was applicable in the last Century I found out that if you want a faster bike then buy one that is supposed to go faster. Derestricting them and even spending a fortune on fitting big bore kits just mean that they are more fragile and break down at every opportunity.