A little help please :) - Running & shin splints

Kznsa

Hi all,

Any regular runners have any ideas on how to get rid of shin splints ?

I have passed fitness test already, but need to maintain - after about 4/5 times of running on road (post fitness test) I developed shin splints.

Have tried every gadget under the sun - foam roller (to massage leg) , Ice-pack, shin splint/calf supports, -

also bought a new pair of proper running shoes - a small fortune, and have those footbalance shock absorber insoles too. ( have not been able to use running shoes yet to date!)

Its been about a month now, that i have not done any running - a bit frustrating as I did start to enjoy running. - although shins are feeling marginally better, not getting better / rid of quick enough!

Any help/ tips on this would be HUGELY appreciated.

Running 4/5 a week on roads is a lot and is probably not doing your joints any good. Maybe cut your runs to 3 times a week, with a day off between each, or find a new route off road, or a mix between the two.

I had bad shin splits before, and a decent pair of trainers are vital. The ones I was using were 7 years old! You don't need to spend loads, just a sturdy pair which give support for your foot type. Maybe think about some decent insoles as well, I personally recommend Zorbothane, but I know others prefer other brands etc.

TheJazzPolice

4/5 times a week - :) people do that ??? - in my case Ive always run on treadmill, although never pushed myself really, but after fitness test, thought why not try road running - it was 4/5 times in total that I ran over about a period of 3 weeks. although continued to go to gym, (avoided treadmill at all costs when pain started) but did weights etc

am hoping new shoes will do the trick, just weather or not I wait a bit longer before hitting the road again hmmmm

What sort of trainers are you using?

Was using Nike free run 3 or something like that - with shock absorber insoles. - used them for general gym and running

now got some Oasics road running trainers - had foot analysis done and got the recommended shock absorber footbalance insoles too!

TheJazzPolice

4/5 times a week - :) people do that ??? - in my case Ive always run on treadmill, although never pushed myself really, but after fitness test, thought why not try road running - it was 4/5 times in total that I ran over about a period of 3 weeks. although continued to go to gym, (avoided treadmill at all costs when pain started) but did weights etc

am hoping new shoes will do the trick, just weather or not I wait a bit longer before hitting the road again hmmmm

Was using Nike free run 3 or something like that - with shock absorber insoles. - used them for general gym and running

now got some Oasics road running trainers - had foot analysis done and got the recommended shock absorber footbalance insoles too!

Yeah I'm not saying don't, I don't know how long you've been running for, but to run that regularly (if you're relatively new) on a hard surface will lead to shin splits. Maybe cut down for a couple of weeks, get some new shoes, then you should be able to do it more often without trouble. :)

I didn't realise the difference a new pair of proper running shoes really made until I got them!

As a shin splint sufferer I feel your pain! The only way I got rid of mine (touch wood they have gone) was to take about a month - 2 months of training. If you really cant do this then there are minor fixes that may allow you ro get through to the end of your run. The first of these is calf stretches and tibialis anterior strecthes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0h7YRkIrU). do these everey day at least twice if not 3 times a day, my physio was adamant my shin splints were being made worse by having tight calfs.

The next short term fix is to use zinc oxide tape to pull the muscle away from the bone as it were. to do this find the thin fleshy bit on the front of your shin and pull it away from the shin bone then use the zinc oxide tape to keep it in place (id recommend shaving your legs first as the tape is ultra sticky.).

My advice would be to rest it and stretch every day.

get a new pair of those trainers that make it feel like your bare foot. Knee and other related problems all boil down to the fact we were meant to run bare foot.

get a new pair of those trainers that make it feel like your bare foot. Knee and other related problems all boil down to the fact we were meant to run bare foot.

Also swim more.

I find a good stretch before and after running helps my shin splints. To stretch them, lean your back up against the wall with your feet about a ft away from the wall, lift up the front of your foot as high as you can so you're weight's just on your heels. Gently move the front of your foot up, keep them there and let them down. Do that several times, helps a lot for me.

I've had shin splints since I was young and have never had any 'gadgets' but I did invest in a good pair of trainers! If they're really troubling you then see your doctor :)

Sounds weird but pour olive oil or oil down your shin. Get someone else or yourself (but it's harder) to rub two fingers down the side of your shins quite firmly. If you have really bad shin splints it should feel a little like bubble wrap popping. Hurts like hell at first, but it does relieve it eventually.

To stop it happening, try run on grass at first with good trainers. Move eventually onto harder ground.

• Global Moderators

Why not try cycling or swimming? Both are great ways of increasing your fitness levels and they don't impact your shins.

As for the problem with your shins, when you go running; stick to soft(er) surfaces if possible, surfaces like grass which don't have as much of an impact when you place your foot down.

Edited by Hoofing

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions, definitely taken all on board .

shall get myself back to the gym next week, start with swimming and cycling for the next month and then look at attempting a run with all the suggested stretches etc etc added in oh and rest days too!