Private plate transfer

rabbit

Hi All :)

Looking for a bit of clarification.. I have a private plate on my car, I want to transfer this plate onto my new car (when I buy it) and then put the original plates back onto my old car so it can be sold to it's new owners. Has anyone done this recently? I find the blurb on the DVLA website a bit confusing, especially the part about putting the original plates back onto a vehicle.

Edit: I can't spell!

Edited by rabbit

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-transfer-or-retain-a-vehicle-registration-number

I always find it easier to take all the necessary paperwork to my local DVLA offiice , much more simple :new_yes:

Still a massive pain in the but though and its not cheap , the biggest problem is that both vehicles need to be insured.

Edited by Ryan200

I got a new car last year and put the private plates that were on the old car onto a retention cetificate with the intention of selling the private plates. I was able to put the old cars original plates back on prior to it being sold.

put the private plate on retention, then you get notified- place the old ones back on with the tax you get sent.

Buy the new car, send off the insurance and tax, you get the new tax and the authority to place the private plates on.

simply done it just a few days ago, use to it, over 20 years.

You won't likely get the same old plates back.

If you are selling privately and won't have 2 cars at once then you will have to transfer your private plate onto a retention certificate then to new car,

If you will have 2 cars then just transfer it

If you are trading it in to a dealer let them do it

I don't think there is a dvla local office local to you so will have to be post or phone!

Every time you transfer its £80 odd and you will need new plates made for both cars as well