Any snake buffs?

tonigsc

Seen in my mums garden in Norfolk this evening...

null_zps7779b98c.jpg

Grass snake or adder?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonigsc

• Mpt

• callsign-kid

• Administrative Account

Awww I thought this was Solid Snake :(

To answer your question I haven't the foggiest.

Looks to be a Grass Snake, but stay on the safe side, obviously, and get the RSPCA to move it, if it's trapped etc.

If its still there in the morning will call them, it is alive!

Looks very much like a grass snake although its hard to be 100% sure from a photo. It may not be trapped. It may be hiding and unaware there is a section of itself that is exposed. That is exactly the sort of thing that snakes like to hide in and may not move (of their own volition) from for some time. Grass snakes also play dead as a form of defence against predators. If you try to handle it and it objects they can release a really, really, foul smelling liquid. Grass snakes are normally found near water and they prey on frogs/toads and that thing it is in could well have had an unfortunate creature in it. Equally though an adder would go after a mouse or something that could be in there.

Grass snake,

Adders usually have a black, zig zagging stripe going from head to tail along the spine.

Looks to be sheltering from the heat, if it hasn't moved by tomorrow give the RSPCA or your local reptile/animal rescue a call

I am a bit worried it has eaten an expired rodent, but not much we can do about that. It is alive, I gently poked it and it tucked itself in the box.

I am a bit worried it has eaten an expired rodent, but not much we can do about that. It is alive, I gently poked it and it tucked itself in the box.

You're worried it ate a dead rodent? lol. Why? If it's because of the potential for illness, don't worry. Snakes can sense when food would be bad for them.

Well I mean a poisoned one! How could it sense that? It's still in there so might speak to RSPCA this morning.

Things that have gone bad usually stink to high heaven. Rodents that have been dead to the point they're no longer edible for a snake would let off at least some sort of odour

Yeah but what if it spotted a nice fresh one? Have called RSPCA and they are coming out, consensus is it could've munched a poisoned mouse. I don't want it to die through inaction!

Depends how long the things been dead for. Snakes won't risk getting hurt which is actually quite likely against bigger rodents so they'll usually pick the easiest meal, and dead ones are easiest of all!

Have also called bait company and they think it wouldn't be harmed but are coming to take a look. Perhaps it just likes the nice warm black box?!