Driving Intensive Course - Yay or Nay?

DS Warner

This is about civillian courses btw not Police related.

I started learning to drive since April 2012 , albeit I took a bit of a break recently due to a lack of funds in the household kitty... but soon enough I am due a hefty tax refund and want to turn pink now... so that I can move onto my next aim... Learn how to ride two wheels! :D

I just wanted to ask, does anyone have any experience in intensive driving courses? and are they recommended? seeing as I have gone through a fair amount of lessons and am used to the road a bit and my driving instructor is currently on a holiday for several months , I thought I may as well plug up the gap over the August month and take an intensive to pass as soon as possible before I start college again in the following months.

Any recommendations and discount codes for providers in the London area.... West London is even more preferable!

Cheers ;)

That's how I learned. 4 days, job jobbed :aok:

That's how I learned. 4 days, job jobbed :aok:

Are you serious?! 4 days and you passed? :eek:

4 hours training. Sorted.

There was no roundabouts or traffic lights though........

Thanks guys...will look further into this

Oh right , R.A.C man? What was it like? I was thinking of joining the TA.... (Not to pick up free driving instruction!) as well as being in the MSC

I'm guessing the quality of instruction was good... to pass your test in 4 days!!!

Edited by The Constable

• 2 weeks later...

I had just four official lessons - two one hour sessions and a double lesson, took my test and passed. To date, the driving test has been the easiest exam I've ever undertaken.

After my very first lesson, my driving instructor just sat there and sighed, opened his brief case and stated "Well I'm not going to make much money out of you, I'll put you in for your test".

To be fair, I had just spent the previous year from my 17th birthday driving my parents around on my provisional licence (both parents full licence holders!) in a blue Hillman Avenger.

I don't think the whole lesson/test thing cost more than 60 quid.

I think a one week intensive course would probably be the best bet if you can afford it.

Totally agree with the above ^

If you know how to drive, you only need an instructor to show you how to pass the test. Everything else is down to your ability to learn, take criticism and adapt.

Most people (in the army (full time reg)) out of training, they complete a weeks course of driving around the barracks and pass. It's not very often a squaddie fails. After all, they've just had 28 weeks of intense training and a Cpl screaming at them until they get a right!

To add to the above its worth noting the driving test today is quite a bit harder than the Hilman avenger days! Back then lots of students passed in only 4 or 5 lessons.

CR8623 has hit the nail on the head. I could drive and you have to be able to take the criticism on the chin, learn and move on which is a really good skill you can take away from any forces experience.

The driving test I did (within the last three years) was an hour and a half long. I drew the short straw and had the Erm most challenging examiner.

It's a sort of simple process really. Learn the controls. Get enough practice with the process to not have to think about it. Then you can raise your awareness of what's going on around you, when you do basic driving that means roads igns, lanes, signals. Once you have enough experience of that just make sure you practice the maneuvering to the required standard. The difficulty is balancing the amount of time that takes, your own patience and how much money you want to spend.

That last decision is actually the hardest

I've spent way to much money on mine, ha.

I should really take my test soon.

Edited by Orion

• 1 year later...

I passed my bike licence in 4 and a half hours training, having only ridden a bike for 2 weeks. I put it down to an incredible instructor.