New Phone Time...

Santisuk1546081549

Ive just been told I need to upgrade so.... Help me decide!

Iphone 5 (Im thinking its a little old now, and ill be stuck with it for 24 months, also O2 are not letting it onto 4G)

Samsung Galaxy S4 (4G will work, pretty decent spec, Looks like a flimsy plastic toy and I've heard it will lag after 2 months)

HTC ONE (4G will work, About same spec as SGS 4, Looks about as decently engineered as the iPhone but I've never had a HTC)

What are you all saying :new_hmmm:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheJazzPolice

• Buck

• Santisuk1546081549

• Administrative Account

I have an S3, which recently developed its first problem since August. Can't speak for the S4 or the HTC One, but I know that many people are getting bored of the repetative nature of the iPhone family.

The S4 is a very nice bit of kit IMO. Bought one for my wife and it's fantastic. I have the S2 and it's still very quick - not sure why people complain of lag unless they're downloading all sorts of junk onto their phones.

HTC One is also very nice, although I don't like the UI they use, I prefer and am much more used to the Samsung UI now.

iPhone... I just don't like them!

Also worth checking out - Samsung Note 2.

Try them out at a shop. It's very subjective. And transfer to 3; by far the best network and often the cheapest as well (certainly if you go apple)!!!<br /><br />I love my iPhones on the 3rd now (a 5) and still happy but there is so little between them/Samsung/htc now that anyone who says one is much better than the other is just simply wrong!

Thats my issue, Ive always had iPhones but looking at my 4s theres not much difference between it and the 5 apart from the shape, the interface is exactly the same as it has been since 3 so I fancy a change. (that and i know Ill get the 5 and in september the 5s/6 will come out and ill want that instead)

I had a galaxy S3 but I broke it with alcohol (put it on the side of my booth and it got drowned in tequila) I quite liked it and got on with it well.

The HTC I've never had but it looks really really sleek, Looks IMO better than the others by a mile.

Im swaying towards the HTC but something in the back of my mind is telling me to stay with apple :new_eyebrow:

I HATE new phone time! theres never an easy option :new_thmbdn2:

I am an iPhone 5 owner, it's my first iPhone and smart phone and I love it. The only bug bear is that the battery can go down pretty quickly in heavy usage. But I have gone upto 2 days before even thinking about recharging.

The next apple generation is released each year so I can see either the iPhone 6 or iPhone 5S being announced at some point in the next 3 months. And I think it could be a bit of a ground breaker. Well...I hope so :D

My brother has an S4 and I don't like it. The design or the OS. I loved the bigger screen apple put in the 5, but its not too big which I feel the S4 is. And also I have come used to the quality of software and hardware from apple, which I feel Android phone have to catch up on.

I could go on for a long time about this but I will resist. I would recommend a short contract if you go down the contract route. No matter if you love you phone immediately, a few months later you will start to find the bad sides of it. A d then are you prepared to stick with it for however long you have left on your contract?

I personally bought my phone direct from apple as I was on giffgaff using a £10 goodybag on auto refresh.

I believe O2 is offering a special contract called 'refresh' which allows you to upgrade a lot of times during the contract, but I have to admit that I only saw the advert and haven't looked into it any.

Hold fire for a couple of weeks and see what WWDC for Apple mentions?

Yeah, as IanW says, WWDC is Apples week long conference when it releases is new stuff. There is no rumour of a new iPhone, however there is most probably going to be the new iOS operating system.

It should be a really fresh system, with Johny Ive doing the design (he designs all the hardware).

That's it then, I'll hang fire, Cheers guys!

<rant>

O2 refresh is no where near as good as it sounds, it's verging on a con if you ask me!

Basically your bill is split into the cost of the phone & the cost of the contract and so if you want to end early you only pay the cost of the phone that is left. Essentially they are waiving an early exit fee for the contract part.

But they won't be giving you a reasonable breakdown and the numbers won't add up if you scrutinise them!

They claim that at the end of the contract normally you would carry on paying the full amount if you chose not to upgrade. Well that is only true if you are a moron, anybody sane would renegotiate their contract or go with another provider!

I did some maths when i bought my iPhone 5 and over the 24 month period the cheapest option is always to buy the phone and get a sim for it, not go on contract but who has £600+ lying around up front to do that? No-one! So in essence the "contract" is actually a payment plan with interest, they just don't tell you that part!

</rant>

I have an iPhone 5 and I love it. Never had any trouble with it. Also, I've never liked the android OS, I find them quite clunky and not at all intuitive.

But remember with the S4, you only get 8.5GB of useable storage on your phone, and the SD card will only store the app and note the data. (Pending the next update just announced)

(e.g. GTA III is 15mb which goes on the SD but the data of the app (textures/sounds etc), which is 1.2GB, can't be moved to SD)

I have the S3 and love it, so as you had that and liked it (until the booze got the better if it :D) why not try the S4?

My limited experience of HTC (a whole week of it), was awful. It kept freezing, which for a new phone with only a small amount of apps isn't very promising.

Also, I know you're talking about which handset and not the network, but since getting a smartphone I've found I use far more data than I thought I would. 3 are as far as I know (and I'm happy to be corrected if I have this wrong) the only network to offer unlimited data without a fair usage policy. They also are very cheap anyway, the only downside to 3 is sometimes their reception isn't the best - you can check coverage on their website.

My limited experience of HTC (a whole week of it), was awful. It kept freezing,

Ditto, I had the Sensation XL. biggest pile of junk I ever owned. Kept on freezing, switching off, battery draining in under an hour etc.

I have the iphone 4 for work and am getting a new iphone 5 next month. my personal phone is a HTC ONE X that i've had a year, it's a great phone and i'm really happy with HTC.