Polypins of Beer

bensonby

I'm getting married in July and it is as much of a DIY wedding as possible. We are not having it at a venue with a bar so we are going to have our own self-service bar area (it may well get messy). I thought the best thing to have would be to have polypins of beer (essentially half-sized barrels) in a row which people can come along and help themselves from. (I'll also have bottles of wine and lager-beer for those people who have some sort of personality defect that means they don't like real ale).

Logic would, surely, dictate that polypins, involving less packaging and creating less waste than bottles, would be cheaper - but I am having a real struggle to find a good selection of beer at a reasonable price. Has anyone had any experience in buying reasonable priced polypins? Has anyone got any good pointers as to where I could source some. I'm looking to get 10-12 polypins which should cover a decent selection. I've looked here but it seems to have an absolutely massive markup: http://www.beerbarrels2u.co.uk/

So far I've bought some Doombar from Sharps in Cornwall and I have bought some cider. I'm probably going to take a trip to Sambrooks in Battersea and maybe to Wychwood in Oxfordshire the week before the wedding.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bensonby

• Soap

• Administrative Account

• GoneForgotten

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried going straight to a brewer? Especially some of the smaller ones would be more than happy to sort you out I'd imagine. It all depends on what you want though.

http://www.hogsback.co.uk/ - This is my local brewery and are a friendly bunch, not sure if it'd be what you're after, but It might worth contacting them, even if its only to put you in touch with somebody else who can sort you out.

Edited by Soap

Might be a case of trawling through the brewers own websites to see what they charge. How much was the Doombar?

Harveys do Sussex Best Bitter and Olympia in 36pt polypins which works out at around £2.20/pint. It doesn't mention if they charge for delivery (yuo need to register or log in).

I've been going round brewers' websites but not a huge number seem to do it.

My mrs' aunt and uncle live in Lewes so I have thought about getting them to bring up a polypin of Harvey's. Two problems with that though are firstly that it should really be set up the day before and I think they are coming up on the day and secondly I'm not the biggest fan of Harvey's!

The Doombar was £62 a polypin I think and the delivery was free! (I bought 2.)

My mrs' aunt and uncle live in Lewes so I have thought about getting them to bring up a polypin of Harvey's. Two problems with that though are firstly that it should really be set up the day before and I think they are coming up on the day and secondly I'm not the biggest fan of Harvey's!

Think of the massess though!

Where about's will your venue be?

Think of the massess though!

Where about's will your venue be?

Hornchurch in Essex. I'm just across the river on the Kent side.

I don't mind doing some running around to breweries but delivery is better as the week before the wedding there will be enough running around to do!

• Like 1

http://www.aspall.co.uk < Aspall Cider. My preference when it comes to ciders, Their shop was down when I looked just now so not sure if Polypins are sold by them, just throwing out suggestions for reference!

I've sorted my cider from Westons...

• Like 1

Hornchurch in Essex. I'm just across the river on the Kent side.

I don't mind doing some running around to breweries but delivery is better as the week before the wedding there will be enough running around to do!

Ah cool, in that case, Aspall is your neck of the woods!

EDIT: Just seen your above post! Didn't read your OP properly ;)

Edited by Soap

looks promising Ian... I'll give them a bell.

looks promising Ian... I'll give them a bell.

I thought you might appreciate that! :D I actually almost purchased you a bottle from them the other day!

Have you got any friends that are publicans of free houses who could source you a few larger kegs from their suppliers.

If you can get a couple of 9 gallons of crowd pleasers like Masterbrew and Best etc to cover some volume drinking so as to cut down the amount you are paying out on the guest ales?

Me and the wife basically had a DIY wedding last year we had a £5k budget for everything.

I went to costco and got crates of everything and people could just help themselves

for the meal we had burger, chips and sweetcorn. The vegeterians had chips and sweetcorn :D