MPS: promotion from sgt to insp.

MaisieMoo

I'm writing something, and need it to be as realisitc as possible. The sgt. has been a sgt for 4 years, and also has a degree in law. So first of all, is the met promoting any sgt's. in the yr 13/14? Secondly, what's the promotion process. How is he deemed eligible etc.

Thank you very much.

Is this a story or script?

The sgt would need a current ospre part 1 pass for inspector. A national exam. The officer would need to apply for promotion, a form. If the form is good enough after being selected out of all the forms they would be progressed. They would then likely be interviewed and at the end of that offered a position as an inspector somewhere and depending on need, skills and performance be appointed into the job. They can then critically choose to accept or not. They also get some choice in where they go and what they do but can ultimately be sent anywhere.

This is so variable and context specific as to make generalisation beyond what's above almost impossible. As far as eligibility goes depends on what's important to the met. Two years ago public order commanders were being looked upon very favourably. A bunch of positions usually helps. If in your 4 years the sgt has been on SNT, response and say the criminal justice unit that can help. Some initiatives of their own accord also helps. Shows they can deal with a strategic bit of planning on their own.

In 13/14 I'm sure a sgt somewhere will be promoted to inspector. Who those people are is anyone's guess. Not to mention the graduate intakes and transferees to compete with.

Guest ----
I'm writing something, and need it to be as realisitc as possible. The sgt. has been a sgt for 4 years, and also has a degree in law. So first of all, is the met promoting any sgt's. in the yr 13/14? Secondly, what's the promotion process. How is he deemed eligible etc.

Thank you very much.

They may promote one or two I suspect but on the whole Inspectors are being cut I believe. With a fair old list of officers who are already qualified etc then unless they are on accelerated promotion or some other fast track scheme I would doubt there will be many. But that applies to anyone seeking promotion whatever the rank.

They may promote one or two I suspect but on the whole Inspectors are being cut I believe. With a fair old list of officers who are already qualified etc then unless they are on accelerated promotion or some other fast track scheme I would doubt there will be many. But that applies to anyone seeking promotion whatever the rank.

That's what I've heard from some Special Constabulary meetings I've been to.

The Met is going to be recruiting around 2000 PCs but is reducing the number of Sgts and Inspectors by around the same figure.

It's going to be very difficult getting promotion in the regs so make it a good application.