Open uni

Special Superman

Just wondering does anyone here have any experience of studying with the open uni for a degree? I left school at 16 so dont have any qualifications above my gcse's...

Im looking into doing history degree as I have always enjoyed history :)

Thanks for any help :D

My missus is doing an OU degree currently. Seems to like it, keeps her very busy in her free time!

Hi!

Open uni is fantastic, like any university course styled place. It's a massive life changer. My advice for you, is to go into your local book store, or online and consider buying some GCSE, A-level and Further education books on your chosen subject. This will give you such an advantage and the basic knowledge for future essays and exams.

The workload is very different from GCSE to Uni so be prepared for 2000+ worded essays etc, haha! :)

Best of luck to you! :)

Edited by Jamie_M92

Cheers for the info guys :) I think im going to do it to be honest :)

Been looking at the classical history pathway they have available as I always like roman and greeks etc :p

I will also look into getting some relevant books :)

Yeh I was looking into this a while ago and it looks like a good idea! Good luck!!

I've had friends who've done OU degrees and found them great :)- good luck with it all, hope it goes well! I graduated from my history degree last year and I really enjoyed the subject :)

I'm currently a student with the OU and it's really good - definitely encourage you to go for it! :)

Hi

I completed a natural sciences certificate and 30 credits in psychology with the Open University, both for personal interest.

I recommend you try out a "openings" course (worth 10-15 credits) a chance for you to try out the OU way of studying and see if it is for you, rather then committing to a full degree. You do have to be quite self disciplined, in setting time for studying around the rest of your life.

I stopped studying with the OU when their fee's went up a lot (along with rest of the other UK universities) as could not justify the cost, shame else I probably would had carried onto achieving either a Natural Sciences / Psychology degree.

If you want any specific help feel free to PM me...I work for the OU :)

P.s. airwavesw11 unfortunately the govt has removed a lot of subsidies but if you haven't got a degree previously there might be schemes you can get on.

Cheers for all the replies everyone :) much appreciated!