Council Tax

SWB

Hi, wonder if anyone can help me!

I'm currently in my first year of uni and living in halls. Later on this year I plan to move in to a privately rented flat with a friend who's not a student. What happens with the council tax?

As a student I'm exempt from council tax but my friend is not, would he have to pay 100% of the tax on the property or would he just pay 50%?

I've never privately rented before, I've only ever lived with my parents and now in halls so sorry if this is an obvious question.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if the rules are the same around the UK (probably not, that would be too easy) but certainly in both the areas of Scotland I have lived you get a discount if you live with somebody who doesn't have to pay council tax. The best way to check will be having a look at the local council website, there should be information about it on there.

I live in Hants with a student while I am not a student. I get 25% off my council tax... Not a logical number I know, I wish it was 50% but there you go, that's the policy in Hants, don't know if it's the same everywhere or it it differs.

Your friend will be liable for 75% (25% discount because one person is exempt).

The council tax is liable for all the residents in the property. Even as a student, you are jointly responsible.

Thanks for the help everyone, I would contact the council but since I don't know where in London we're going to be living yet I wasn't sure which council to contact.

The council tax is liable for all the residents in the property. Even as a student, you are jointly responsible.

How can I be responsible for something I'm exempt from? :new_eyebrow: If I'm exempt from paying it then surely I can't be responsible if he didn't pay it (hypothetically). I can't force him to give the council money :new_hmmm: (I'm not having a go at you by they way, just wondering how it all works)

Consult your local Council by phone or in attendance.

Council Tax can be a very costly mistake if wrong information is given!

Consult your local Council by phone or in attendance.

Council Tax can be a very costly mistake if wrong information is given!

Yeah, once we've got everything sorted we'll contact whichever council we'll be living in and get a definitive answer, just thought I'd try and get a rough guide to how it works first.

I lived in a house full of students and got shafted with the full bill minus my single person occupancy, think it totalled around the thousand pound mark. Because I had never had to deal with council tax before I didnt know I had to notify them so they caught up with me in January and basically wanted 2 payments to bring me up to date with their records.

The students didnt offer to contribute and the only response I got from my old man was "welcome to the real world son..."

• Like 1