Honda accord - dpf issues and others!

Soapyw

Have we any friendly, helpful mechanics on here?! I've just had a dpf failure on my accord, been sorted in the garage (forced regen and fuel additive), got it back today and I've lost hot air! Not sure if its linked, but it seems an odd coincidence. I'll be back onto the garage on Monday, just wondered if the heat from the regen could have damaged the heat exchanger? And if the advice I got about the dpf is good.... Ta.

I'm not a professional mechanic but I can't think how a DPF regen can make your heater die...off the top of my head, check your coolant levels in your car. Last time I heard this the car had leaked all of its coolant out! Also, I presume you have digital climate control in a vehicle such as that?

Also, DPFs are an absolute joke on older vehicles, a prime example of planned obsolescence and a constant source of problems,. Pretty much every car on the road which has the basics of maintenance done should pass the MOT emissions tests for diesel engines. It's also one of the reasons why petrol engines are still a better bet for personal use.

Edited by fruitandveg

yeah I can't see a direct link, all the heat damaged a hose maybe but then as you say coolant would be leaking out and its running fine otherwise. Maybe it damaged a sensor somewhere. Its an 09 so all digital. One of my options (if the original problem persists) is dpf removal, few hundred quid including a remap. But I never like a bloke with a laptop messing with a map Honda spent millions developing, I never see how it can be faster, more efficient and still pass emissions without one?? Hopefully the garage tomorrow will say 'no problem we forgot to turn something back on'. We'll see!

Honda need to fit them to sell the car - the MOT test just says a diesel engine can't spit out excessive sooty stuff against a year related limit, people who have had them removed have never looked back however with MOT test changes pending, I don't know how DPF removal will fit in that.

If when the engine is warmed up, the top radiator hose is very warm, I bet it's the A/C controller, gut feeling. My old Pug 406 had climate control that always ran on the cool side.

Turns out it was unrelated, well some vibration may have helped. The cable that controls the valve on the heat exchanger had slipped off the control arm on the dash side. The garage found it, I took it home and had to strip part of the dash but it was fortunately a fairly easy fix. Phew!

• Like 1